• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Was leather used in muzzleloading rifle making?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Man has always used leather for many items, since it was first produced by civilization.
I am just wondering if muzzleloading guns had ever had leather on a stock that was permanent? Like glued verses laced on.
Thanks in advance

In Spanish America leather cannon were made. A thin iron tube draped with multiple layers of leather put on wet sewn in place and waxed till several inches thick.

There was a civil war carbine, that had the barrel shrouded in leather to protect it from salt, It was for maritime use and didn't work.

Leather would have had many uses in the actual making of guns, from machinery belts to parts hardening
It was also used extensively in things like hammer stalls, cows knees, and possibles bags.

French.jpg

Like this, can't find my pictures, this is off the internet

There was a civil war carbine, that had the barrel shrouded in leather to protect it from salt, It was for maritime use and didn't work.

Leather would have had many uses in the actual making of guns, from machinery belts to parts hardening
It was also used extensively in things like hammer stalls, cows knees, and possibles bags.
See CC, here you’ve been I two different threads ive liked what you’ve posted😊

I understand you said rifle making. After 1858, chrome tanning was invented by a German and patented by an American. The bison hides tanned with that method powered the gearing of steam and hydro powered plants. I suppose if you used belt driven machines to grind, plane, drill gun parts then leather was indeed used in rifle making. Brown Bess musket slings were painted white leather.
Rawhide is untanned hide and not leather but many a repair on cracked or broken rifle and smoothbore stocks were made usable again by sewing and shrinking rawhide on a shoulder arm. I've repaired broken wrists with brass bars, epoxy and rawhide and used sleeves of rawhide instead of a barrel band to keep the barrel in the stock.
I find that leather is superior to lead strips for keeping the flints securely adjusted in the jaws of the cock of a flintlock.

Latest posts

Back