Warning and Banning Members

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Claude Mathis

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
We've had to lock several threads recently which is most unfortunate, because we all loose when that happens. We've had problems in the past, but things seem to be getting worse.

The new system comes with a built-in "Three Strikes" warning system, which goes into effect immediately.

Below is a shot of the interface screen.

When a warning is issued, the member receives a message explaining why. Once a warning is issued, the system will automatically "un-ban" the member at the end of the designated time period.

The built-in time periods go from one hour to one year, but the "Ban Now" box makes it immediate and indefinite. The system also keeps track of the details for each "offense".

Let me remind everyone of a rule that has been in place from day one, but that has been halfheartedly applied. It will now be conscientiously enforced.

We welcome debate, but personal attacks will not be tolerated.

Claude Mathis

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
one feather said:
can someone be deleted by this?
For each strike, you are banned for a designated period of time, after which you may enter the Forum again.

After three strikes, you are banned permanently. That is, your third strike is your last, you don't get a fourth.

Claude Mathis

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
And, to give everyone an even shot at making this work, we'll not consider the past.

Everyone starts with a clean slate as of now. (checking my watch) :grin:

walruskid1

54 Cal.
Reaction score
good system, we seem to have a lot of trolling lately. it does get old. today i actually thought about using ignore for several people, and i'm easy going.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
walruskid1 said:
good system, we seem to have a lot of trolling lately. it does get old. today i actually thought about using ignore for several people, and i'm easy going.
Completely agree...and I DID use the ignore list...I've made it through 60 years without tolerating discourteous behavior from people and am not about to start now just because they hide behind a computer screen...and my life will go right on fine if I never see another post from them...
:v

Claude Mathis

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
roundball said:
walruskid1 said:
Completely agree...and I DID use the ignore list...I've made it through 60 years without tolerating discourteous behavior from people and am not about to start now just because they hide behind a computer screen...and my life will go right on fine if I never see another post from them...
:v
I view the ignore feature as a last resort for a situation that has gotten out of hand.

Let me use an analogy...

As the host of this "party", I would like to think that I can keep things running smoothly, so that all the "guests" are enjoying themselves.

If we have an unruly guest, it's my responsibility to ask them to alter their behavior or leave the party. A guest shouldn't have to hide from other guests for fear of being accosted.

My problem has always been, that I hate enforcing the rules and have always hoped that everyone would just "do the right thing". I guess that only works for so long.

AZ-Robert

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Claude said:
As the host of this "party", I would like to think that I can keep things running smoothly, so that all the "guests" are enjoying themselves.

If we have an unruly guest, it's my responsibility to ask them to alter their behavior or leave the party. A guest shouldn't have to hide from other guests for fear of being accosted.
Well, good on you, Claude. You're much more even handed than I might be in your position.

But I think your analogy is only almost right. I'm not hiding from anyone by using that "ignore" feature -- instead, my version of your party just has fewer guests :grin:

Claude Mathis

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
AZ-Robert said:
Claude said:

Well, good on you, Claude. You're much more even handed than I might be in your position.

But I think your analogy is only almost right. I'm not hiding from anyone by using that "ignore" feature -- instead, my version of your party just has fewer guests :grin:
That works too. :winking:

Leonredbeard

54 Cal.
Reaction score
Claude,
What is this ignore thing? How does that work? I don't really need it, as I have never been attacked on the forum. I just like to know how things work.
God bless.
volatpluvia

onefeather

45 Cal.
Reaction score
if you click on a persons profile then up at the top you can push ignore user and you can see that they posted but not what they said :thumbsup: you do that to people who get on your nerves

faw3

69 Cal.
Reaction score
Since Im new to useing this thing ,figured out how to turn it on about 5/6 months back..what is trolling? I havent really seen any attack on here so you all must be doing a good job.

Claude Mathis

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
fw said:
Since Im new to useing this thing ,figured out how to turn it on about 5/6 months back..what is trolling? I havent really seen any attack on here so you all must be doing a good job.
"Trolling" is posting a question you know is controversial, with the intent to stir up trouble. Some people do it just to bait others into an argument.

faw3

69 Cal.
Reaction score
Thank you much. I must of had my mind in the gutter again. Fred

Trolling in traditional M/L could also be called rabblerousing, and Claudes' three strikes could be considered tarring, and feathering, and being run out of town on a rail. :haha: Making no defense here, but some of these clashes were the result of misplaced humor that was taken wrong, that's why it is important to use the smiley's as not everyone always wakes up on the right side of the bed everyday. Bill

Claude Mathis

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Bill of the 45th Parallel said:
Making no defense here, but some of these clashes were the result of misplaced humor that was taken wrong, that's why it is important to use the smiley's as not everyone always wakes up on the right side of the bed everyday.
Excellent point. I don't want anyone to think that warnings will be handed out for misunderstands or simple disagreements.

I like to run things by the Moderators to get other perspectives, so quite a bit of thought will go into enforcing the rules.

Hi Claude
Gee I "attacked" and have been "attacked" by lots of the fellas??? This FORUM IS GREAT!!! I hope that political correctness has not desended from the north... "O" no... I truly believe that any thing I have read on this forum has been in gest or at worst a temper tamtrum (of course I have been acussed of missing the point many times)... I would hope our members have the common sence to step back and be sure the "attack" is real and not just a heated sign of passion. If we run hiding it will close the collective mind of this forum and prevent it from being what I see as the greatest run, and the greatest source, and exchange of views and opinions on black powder shooting. The professionalizim and good management of this forum has both allowed and brought some very opinionated members.That have made this such an interesting forum. I hope this will not turn this into old salem... But as far as I can see what attacks.. Thanks for running the show, you and your moderators do a great job.
Best regards Loyalist dawg
Say one other thing Could you tell the rebels to be nicer to the loyalists?

Bearbait2

SourDough
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Mr. Claude and Mr. Bill,
What you say has a lot of merit. However, we departed one forum (still review it once in awhile) because of the habit of a couple of members who would attack, demean, and insult anyone who dared to have a different opinion regarding the firearms and ammunition in question. All of this was done under the guise of so called humor; using "smiley faces", etc. This was not done in mutual fun.
I do not envy the responsibilities of Claude and the moderators. I do thank them for taking on the burden and making this THE site I always go to first (and if time is limited, it may be the only site visited on any given day). We love it here!
Best Wishes

sniper68

50 Cal.
Reaction score
:confused: They're other sights!!!!!????? :hmm: :youcrazy: :rotf: