WARNING: A too good deal is probably a too good deal if from a stranger.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Okay, I know this is not the first time I've posted about this and I know Zonie posted about it at one time.

But If you get a PM from a new member, or member with no posts, etc. So and so has this gun item you are looking for for only $XXXX, just got to this email and he can sell it to you.

This is something I saw today.

" So whomever MatHunt is, he saw a member was looking for a rifle. He sent a PM to that member with an email for a guy "he knows that is selling something like that". The member took the bait, contacted the third party "seller", and was sent some photos and given a price of $150.00. Well the $150.00 is gone, and MatHunt nor the "seller" can be contacted. "

That above has happened a couple of times here, with MatHunt being some other name.
Mods and I do not know about this until we get a message such as that and the member out of funds wants us to do something. There is nothing we can do except ban them.

I do know if you send the funds via US Mail, or if any of it goes through the US Mail you may be able to file a claim
with the Postmaster.

What I have done today to hopefully make this not happen again. (or at least not as often)

1. The new members and everyone has the basic permissions of a Registered User.
2. That user group permissions now must have their post approved, and they cannot send PMs.
3. Any member that has more than 2 posts and is not banned becomes what I call an Established Member.
4. Established members have the same ability to post and send PMs as you did before I made the changes to Registered.

I did this so mods and/or I will have to see first couple of posts to make sure the member is not a troll/spammer/or scammer if we can help it.
And without the 2 post they will not be able to send a PM and offer this wonderful deal that the person at the provided email has.

BUT, you MUST do your part. Look to see if the member is new or have they been here awhile? Do they have a posting history so that you can read some to see what type of person they appear to be.

SDSmlf

69 Cal.
Reaction score
May want to consider upping the number of minimum posts before being to allowed post in the Classifieds to say 25. Wouldn’t have helped in the above example, but it may kickstart some into being extra careful when dealing with newer members that have little track record or history on the forum.

SOLANCO

50 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I think the 25 post minimum is helpful. But I think the best thing you can do is not send your hard earned $ to someone who has not been on here for at least two years and had a significant number of posts. Very few scammers will be active on a site for two years.
I do not suggest that this should be a site rule. But it is my own practice.

Kansas Jake

54 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
The down side to two years and maybe 25 posts is it would discourage legitimate people who are new to the sport from being more involved. We do have a number of good folks who rarely if ever post but mostly observe.

Whughett

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Post Script. I was one of the targets just a few weeks ago in response to a WTB ad. User knew a fellow, email lead pm’d, ect. Warning flag for me was the price asked was too low by half. A PM to Angie confirmed my suspicion.
Thanks Angie.
On the up side this forum can be a real good source of reasonable priced goods and guns. Just a little common sense is needed.

Old Hawkeye

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Caveat Emptor!!! It's pretty easy to review anyone's posting record here & determine if they are legit or not. I don't think any "rules" can prevent people from being foolish.

rtuba71

32 Cal
Reaction score
I have been on other forums and 25 post doesn't sound unreasonable. There are a lot of people doing fraudulent things these days and it doesn't hurt to try to make it safer to buy and sell.

Dude

40 Cal
Reaction score
The problem, in this case, isn't posting in the marketplace. He never posts in the marketplace. This particular scammer has been pulling this trick for at least a year since I joined the forum. He gets caught, banished, then comes back with a new identity. His modus operandi is always the same - he sends a PM to a forum member, who has posted a WANTED ad, stating a friend of his (in Texas) has one for sale, and to contact him.

As I understand it, moderators are unable to view Private Messages. So preventing new members from sending PMs would be the only way to block this scammer. I'm not sure that requiring only two postings would be enough, but certainly is a start.

What is needed is a way to track down this perp and positively identify him. He keeps coming back with a new address and 'looks' like any other new member until pulling this stunt all over again. Is there a way to automatically send a reply to any new wanted posting warning of this scammer and to report him to the mods?

Elkhorse

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone who contacts you by pm (private message) and offers something at a very low price is worthy of investigation if they've only been on MLF a short time.
That's how I was contacted a few weeks ago.
I asked for a bore picture and he disappeared from everywhere.
I contacted Angie and she had already dinged him and his posts.

Latest posts