• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Warm howdy from Kentucky

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gicts

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey all, let me tell you a bit about myself and how I made it here. My hobbies, amongst other things include wine and beer making, firearms collecting, leather workings, hunting, and now I am venturing into black powder. I started collecting other firearms 5 years ago and grew up around hunting, having the opportunity to shot competitive collegiate sporting clays 2 years ago. Black powder has always been seen as black magic to me and mine and I was never really exposed to it growing up.

I am a college senior and also working on my Paramedic license. I have always been attracted to flint lock rifles and this year I was determined to take advantage of the state's muzzle loading deer season. I wasn't going to spend money on an inline when 1) I am not interested or attracted to inlines and 2) I've always wanted a flint lock and am always looking for a challenge. Being a full time college student and part time employee, I settled on the cheapest kit I could find, a $280 shipped Traditions Kentucky Flint lock. It comes tomorrow after being in the mail for over a week :cursing: The suspense it horrible!

Very quickly after ordering my flint lock I decided I wasn't going to 'mix and match' in the field. If I were going to take a flint lock, I was going back in time and going all the way! Thus sums up my past week. I have spent all my spare time on this site reading and looking online for accessories and 'do and do not' lists.

I am very excited and though probably do not have much to contribute am glad to be a part of the site and really can't wait to start building this gun! Wheew!

:hatsoff: Welcome to the forum. Your background should give you a good start. Lots to learn here and a fine bunch to help you along.

Hello and welcome. You have come to the right place for help because there is a fine group of folks here to help you out with any problems that you may have.
We are also anxious to read your input as well.

Welcome! I have family in Kentucky...beautiful state! I got started with cap and ball guns then a civil war rifle and finally got a flintlock last year, it is great, however I'm not too happy with the stock on my traditions. oh well...

I also had my EMT certification...never did anything with it...got my AA in fire tech...never did anything with that and eventually hurt my back so anything fire/emergency related is out of the question...
Got my bachelor degree and haven't done squat with that yet either :rotf:

Ryan,
Welcome to the MLF.Lots of great information
and folks here. Hope you will visit and contribute often.
I am snake-eyes :hatsoff:

Good to see another local pull up to the fire. Don't know what part of the state you are in but, if you are Central or Eastern, and hunting traditional sidelocks, do not pass up an opportunity to hunt the Pioneer Weapons WMA in the Daniel Boone NF near Cave Run Lake. It is a sidelock only hunting area, gets little use during deer season, (after the early MZ weekend that is) and though the population of deer per square mile out there is not what it is in other areas, the minimal hunting pressure over the years has produced an area with a number of large bucks. Not something that you often see on a public land hunt. Worth looking into if that area is close to you. You run into issues with finding powder or other supplies, drop me a line.

Hi and welcome to the site, this is the #1 place for ml info that I have found. I live in Lexington and if you plan on shooting your rifle we have a black powder club that shoots every first sunday, every fourth sunday and any month that has a fifth sunday each month. the fifth sunday is a woods walk shoot and is a lot of fun. the fourth sunday and fifth sunday shoots are open to anyone and you don't have to be a member to shoot on those days. We also have a ml pistol shoot on the third saturday of each month. The club is in Wilmore Ky, just west of Lexington. If you are in this area and would like to shoot let me know and I can give you more info on our shoots.
JSams ff/emt

Welcome to the MLF! Lots of good info here. Good luck with your new rifle and good luck hunting deer.

Back