• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

SOLD War Rapier/colichemarde style sword

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
$285 plus shipping

This sword was made by Renowned Met Fencing master Oscar F. Kolombatavich. Oscar was the fencing master for several motion pictures ( Oscar F. Kolombatovich - IMDb ). Born in Split, Yugoslvia in 1919, a member of the Royal family, they were run out of Yugoslavia and fled to Italy and subsequently to the USA. Fluent in Italian, Spanish, Croatian and Serbian, he subsequently was recruited by the OSS to serve in Italy.

After returning to Madrid, Spain in the 1980s, he founded a sword making operation in Toledo. Pavarotti was his most famous of all customers and would only use Oscar's swords in his performances. I met and became close friends with Oscar while serving as the USMC Attaché in the 1990's in Madrid. Oscar Passed away in 2002.

His swords are all working swords..i.e. ready to fight, real swords, not just decorative.

This is a War Rapier popular during the 30 Years War. It had a thick blade base so as to fend off sabers and slashing attacks and not break, yet retain its litheness for rapier style fighting. Typically an officer's/gentleman's sword used by those who had been trained in rapier fighting, yet needed something during the melee of battle.

31" long blade with rapier style hilt. No scabbard. war rapier 4.jpgwar rapier3.jpg

Attachments

• war rapier2.jpg
    war rapier2.jpg
    368.1 KB · Views: 0
  • war rapier1.jpg
    war rapier1.jpg
    504.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Technically the sword you have listed is not a rapier, it's a decedent of them but it's a Colichemarde, a form of dress short sword. Very nice sword though I have one like it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colichemarde
Working off of notes from Oscar when I bought them. He called it a transitional rapier or war rapier. But your reference is correct. He claims they came about for the need for a gentleman to defend himself from those that packed sabers and other slashing weapons, yet retained the characteristics of a rapier, in which most were trained in.

I see that the wiki reference also says that George Washington was presented with one during his inauguration and that is in the notes also.

Thanks for the extra into.

Working off of notes from Oscar when I bought them. He called it a transitional rapier or war rapier. But your reference is correct. He claims they came about for the need for a gentleman to defend himself from those that packed sabers and other slashing weapons, yet retained the characteristics of a rapier, in which most were trained in.

I see that the wiki reference also says that George Washington was presented with one during his inauguration and that is in the notes also.

Thanks for the extra into.
I don't want you to think I was downing the sworn itself because it is nice. The hilt on your sword is called a clamshell style and not nearly as large as one found on a rapier, plus the rapier was a double-edged cutting sword, yours has a "Epee" style blade meant for stabbing only.

I don't want you to think I was downing the sworn itself because it is nice. The hilt on your sword is called a clamshell style and not nearly as large as one found on a rapier, plus the rapier was a double-edged cutting sword, yours has a "Epee" style blade meant for stabbing only.
Oh, no. I understand. I appreciate the info as I am working off of 30 plus year old notes and I am no sword expert.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back