• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Wanting to get a smoothbore flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what would you take for the 26'' Chief

Sorry, not for sale. It’s the handiest long gun I own. Pic below, lights bad sorry. But I highly recommend the type.
D985DD0F-143E-4422-BB72-1B5D4CF9A4AD.jpeg

Last edited:
I really like that canoe gun!! I bet it sure is handy!! Did you make it from a kit or did you have it made for you? I see Sitting Fox does a canoe gun like that. I've sent two estimate requests for one and never got a reply.

It is a Wilson Chief’s trade gun by Caywood. Bought it from a member here.

Caywood’s are damn fine guns. This is one of my finest and favorites. The previous owner had it shortened. At 50 yards I can shoot a group smaller than my palm all day long. .610 ball and 80 grains of 3F. Recoil is not really noticeable.

It seems there is a fair amount of interest/ demand for smoothbores but very few producing them. Would be nice to see invest arms produce some, the Pedersoli is a bit salty IMO. Not everyone can afford a semi custom or wait a few years to get one, especially folks who are starting out or just have a limited budget.

It seems there is a fair amount of interest/ demand for smoothbores but very few producing them. Would be nice to see invest arms produce some, the Pedersoli is a bit salty IMO. Not everyone can afford a semi custom or wait a few years to get one, especially folks who are starting out or just have a limited budget.

There are smoothbore guns for sale every week on this forum. Stop your whining, it’s unbecoming.

What's salty about the Ped trade gun? I had one and it was a cracker. Shot well, fast ignition and looked great. Not sure what else you can ask for. I sold it because I absolutely love my fusil and I needed money for an impulse buy of a GRRW 12G. Still not sure I made the right decision.

There are smoothbore guns for sale every week on this forum. Stop your whining, it’s unbecoming.
Wow!

What was whiney about that?

Other than "the Pedersoli is a bit salty IMO " which he stated was just opinion,,, nothing he said wasn't true.

I agree, there are a decent amount of smoothbore guns for sale in our classifieds and the ALR classifieds. Some are reasonable, some are pretty expensive,,,, almost all require shipping.
I generally don't care for any of the mass produced muzzleloading rifles, but that is personal taste. What would be so bad about shooters, especially those new to smoothbores, being able to walk into the same local shop they would buy a Thompson, Invest, Pedersoli, or Lyman rifle,,,, and buy a brand new smoothbore muzzleloader?

My earlier posts here on the forum were about trying to decide on a rifle or a smoothbore and I have decided to get one of each after all the feedback I got. I posted in the rifles thread to try and get some help deciding on either a .40, .45 or .50 caliber rifle. However, in this thread I am trying to decide on a smoothbore. I'd like to get one that can do the job right. I don't really think I need a large shoulder cannon. Largest bore diameter to hunt things like Waterfowl is 10 Gauge and there is not a regulation on the smallest bore. Small game and Turkey can be hunted with anything. This smoothbore will act as my shotgun. I would use it for hunting squirrels, rabbits, groundhogs, turkeys, geese and ducks. I might also use it for deer hunting but probably not as much as a rifle. That all being said what is a good caliber to choose. I have had some people suggest .58 cal smooth which is 24 gauge and some suggest going .62 cal and up. I dont really know what I want caliber wise. I have always hunted with an "unmentionable"(term I have seen others use to describe non muzzleloaders), 12 gauge single shot smoothbore but from what I see that isnt a commom gauge size. If anyone could put their two cents in it'd be appreciated. Thanks for all the knowledge shared so far and thanks for helping me out everyone.
For all of the game you'll be hunting, the 10 bore is the best choice in my opinion. It'll do it all. But wait, there's more. After you get the 10 gauge, you can then buy a dedicated small game gun. A 24 gauge trade gun is an excellent choice. Just my humble opinion. Dan

The Pedersoli just seems a bit expensive to me but then I'm getting old and I remember when a semi custom ran about $800. Like someone else said it's just my opinion.......................

Hello, I am looking for a 62cal Chief trade Rifle?
anything out There??
Thank you!
The Log Cabin shop has a .58 cal/24 ga smooth bore that is hand carved nicely made by me (30 years experience). It is PA painted gun in a rust red/brown with contrasting green and yellow designs. It has a Chambers rd faced lock and Ed Ryle 42" Oct bbl. It has hand made sights and shoots rd balls very accurately, 24 ga wads go with it. It's new, only test fired. PA barn gun is like a TN poor boy, no butt plate and no entry thimble, it has a very hard plain maple stock. It is well made, good architecture and is inexpensive. Look it up on their web site.

Funny you should mention such a thing . I love my scratch builds and never want to stop doing them ....however .....I want , one day , to have a NW trade gun available that is made on a machine , is 80% done by the time it gets to my shop . This way I can build an authentic NW trade gun , finished , for $1400 instead of $1700, in the white for $1300... . $1400 being the same price of a Pedersoli and the customer will still be getting an American made firearm , fast ignition , furniture still hand made by me , authentic in every detail , esp. the side plate , LOL , faster time to the customers hands , and guaranteed for life just like my plank built guns .... What do you all think ??

Last edited:
Funny you should mention such a thing . I love my scratch builds and never want to stop doing them ....however .....I want , one day , to have a NW trade gun available that is made on a machine , is 80% done by the time it gets to my shop . This way I can build an authentic NW trade gun , finished , for $1400 instead of $1700, in the white for $1300... . $1400 being the same price of a Pedersoli and the customer will still be getting an American made firearm , fast ignition , furniture still hand made by me , authentic in every detail , esp. the side plate , LOL , faster time to the customers hands , and guaranteed for life just like my plank built guns ....
Jeez, maybe I need to be buying one of your guns!

I am new to muzzleloading and have been wanting a historically accurate fowler for the rev war era. What barrel length was most common for a fowler during this time period? Looking to get a tvm. Thanks.
NW trade guns 36" , 42" , 48" . Fusil de Chasse 44" , Carolina Gun 46" ....

Some of my builds

Attachments

• img_2_1669243153306.jpg
    img_2_1669243153306.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 0
  • img_7_1669502968484.jpg
    img_7_1669502968484.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 0
  • img_6_1669502932466.jpg
    img_6_1669502932466.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 0
  • img_4_1669502711568.jpg