• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wanting percussion CVA single shot ideas and pics

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Screenshot_20190225-125055_Gallery.jpg
TTACH]
Screenshot_20190225-125055_Gallery.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190225-125039_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190225-125039_Gallery.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 63
  1. Let's go guys, I know there are others with Colonial's, Kentucky's, Plain's, Mountain's and Hawkens that you are proud of. Let the world see 'em. DL

You are welcome. I believe I have picked the style I want. Using the standard length barrel I will shorten the stock at the front exposing more barrel. I will round the stock in the front. I will round the grip area and maybe checker it. I have come up with a metal finish I like and it might look good here. I put it on my Conferderate Navy and damn it looks good. It's worth a try. See pic.
IMG_0396.JPG

I like that metal finish. I realize photos can be deceiving but the term "Gun Metal Gray" somehow comes to mind.

Eutycus
I was going to do an antiqueing job on this Confederate Navy revolver. Following Blackie Thomas's technique using vinegar to remove the bluing. Vinegar works EXCELLENT for this. Anyway once stripped you clean with hot water and reassemble the firearm. Now the metal should start to oxidize. You keep wiping it down till you get the patina look you want. Well after 4 days I had no rust, so I just wiped it down with a natural oil, Virgin Olive oil. It has remained this GRAY METAL look for almost 2 years now. I antiqued the brass and wood and I am pleased. I used apple cider vinegar, not white vinegar. Did that make the difference? Who knows. This is one firearm I will not part with. Will the steel in the Jukar barrels react the same, don't know yet but I will find out.
DL

I'm guessing! just maybe, that it wasnt the types of vinegars but the acid content. Some only contain 5% while others contain 9%. Notice I put that "maybe" in there?

i have a close friend who is a world wide known knife maker. does a lot of bowie knives. if they want them antique looking the uses mustard, like the hot dog mustard. good clean metal. then layer of mustered, leave a day and wash off and keep doing that until you get what you want. ive never tried it but his knives are perfect and high end dollar. sold one to robin williams just before robin williams did what he did.it may or may not work for you.

Sounds good, and one of the main ingredients in most mustards is distilled vinegar. So it sounds like mild acid does have some sort of effect on metal finish. I like the look of that effect.I have a 1851 ASM that looks just too blue, I'm considering doing that "vinegar thing" to it (maybe). Oh, what does vinegar do to brass?

Eutycus
Vinegar will clean brass. Go to YouTube and look for Blackie Thomas antigueing handguns. Follow his instructions. A good video series. Then go to MidwayUSA and look for their gunsmithing videos. There is one on antigueing brass or was it Brownells. Read so much I get confused sometimes.
DL

saw a viteo once of some one famous building a flintlock rifle. he used bleach on the barrel to make it look old. then browned it some way. as for me, i would not go the bleach route. bead blasting does it better for a matte finish.

I too feel bleach is not any sort of product you'd want on a rifle barrel. You could make a short list of things not to use on a gun and I would almost bet bleach would make the list. The word "harsh" comes to mind. But then again I did not see this video and dont know how watered down or diluted the bleach solution was.

Bleach will attack steel with a vengeance.

This picture shows my brass frame "Confederate Schnider" pistol. I wanted it to look like it might have been left out in a field for months after a battle but keep the nice bore and chambers of a nice replica pistol so I applied one coat of bleach to the outside surfaces.

Within 15 minutes the bleach had started rusting the gun to the point that you see.
The biggest problem was to try to get the bleach stopped and even after several washings with water and drying and oiling the surface the rusting process still seemed to continue for days.

I also beat up the grips a bit with dull tools so it looked "well used".

upload_2019-3-2_10-23-12.png

IMG_0396.JPG

Zonie
that's what i was going to attempt on my Confederate G&G. i did it with vinegar and came out with a gray metal look, which to me is appealing also.
DL

Vinegar is funny. On the one hand it will clean the metal, remove the bluing or browning, and clean the rust. However it has removed all the metals protection so now when exposed to the air and moisture it will start to oxidize again. A good natural oil will protect it again. I use olive oil, why, because we cook with it and have lots of it on hand and I like the smell.

Back