• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

WANTED WANTED TC Hawken Trigger Guard

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Looking for a brass Thompson Center Hawken trigger guard.

Check if your stock has the same width inlets for the triggerguard, if they are the same in width you need the old style guard if the rear inlet is narrower you need the late style.

ThreeCrows

3Crows - yes the rear is narrower so I need the newer style. When did that happen?

My problem is I've got a huge gap (1/8") aft of the rear trigger guard mount. How to fix?? This was a kit assembled by a previous owner so I have no clue how this happened - brass filed down? I don't know. The stock appears to have been verathaned without any finishing and the inletting appears to be untouched. As soon as I get this issue sorted out I'll probably strip it down and finish it properly.

The solutions - 1. fill with wood putty and stain. 2. braze extra brass to the trigger guard and file to shape 3. carve a piece of brass to fit the space and epoxy it in. 4. find another trigger guard that's longer in that dimension

Number 4 seems to be the best answer.

The gap is about 1/8" I need to fill. The trigger guard has about 1/16" of brass beyond the screw, so I need to locate a trigger guard with at least 3/16" of brass beyond the rear mounting screw head.

Thanks, Eric - I got in touch with him and we'll see where that goes.

Any idea what a fair price for a trigger guard would be?

I haven't figured out how to post photos yet. Sorry.

I contacted Danny - a seller on ebay - who has a trigger guard for sale, and explained my situation, along with wondering if his would fit my gun. He told me I should bend it to fit, that investment cast brass (like the TC parts) tends to be fairly malleable and unlikely to crack. He said the sand cast parts aren't quite as limber.

So, figuring I had nothing to lose, tried bending it. Let me tell you, stretching that thing 3/16" was NOT easy! I got it stretched but the angles were wrong. Once I got the angles right again, it had shrunk back to its original length. Using a different approach it eventually got there. I think I spent about three hours total on this puzzle carefully tweaking, trying again a little more, back and forth, cleaning and polishing, and then relocating the front screw hole.

Hopefully the data on investment cast brass being malleable will help someone in the future.

Why don't you fill the old screw holes and drill new ones to fit your guard, put them wherever you need to. I have installed some buttplates and missed on my hole drilling, I plug the hole with dowels and redrill, the patched holes won't show under the buttplate. I glue in the dowels with superglue.

Back