• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Wanted Single Pole Tent

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Been looking for a Single Pole Tent. Most of the vendors I've delt with in the past seem to have gone out of business. I would prefer 12x12 made out of marine finished material. If anyone has a line on a current vendor or has a used on for sale please let me know.
Thanks,
Ferret Master

Panther primitives offers a pyramid. Such tents were post 1840 and some events won’t let you in, they als offer a round single pole. Smaller then a pyramid it’s authentic back to the Middle Ages. They also offer tarps for a plow point or Diamond.
And the civil war or Crimean war period conical tents Sibley or Shibley style in America, large one pole

Last edited:
I'm not sure about pyramids being post 1840. I think Josiah Gregg in "Commerce of the Plains was on the Santa Fe trail in the 1830's and they had a pyramid,

I'm not sure about pyramids being post 1840. I think Josiah Gregg in "Commerce of the Plains was on the Santa Fe trail in the 1830's and they had a pyramid,
Oh no there is a can of worms.
A pyramid is just four triangles of cloth. In terms of material used vs space inside its a wise use of cloth.
I’ve personally no doubt that such a tent isn’t as old as tent making.
However
Many ‘juried’ events will not let you in.
I use a wedge, not because it’s the best or the most correct but simply because it’s a one size fits all from F&I to WBTS
I wonder if Greggs wasn’t circular
Look at Bakers. Not invented until WW1, but seen in a painting of the Cook expedition
Well it looks like a baker but it’s tied not sewn😳
So a tied baker is ok sewn isn’t.
Doesn’t make a lot of sense to me. But if you play you have to follow the rules. And if we don’t set a standard we get a pirate fest and not an historic event.

Well, I'm just working from memory, maybe someone else has better data, but if I recall, they had a India Rubber tarp inside the tent as a floor and it rained and the tent leaked and there were puddles all over because the tarp held the water and he mentions a single pole.
On the circular. I've read in several sources (mountain man era) that old teepees were cut into a smaller version. Maybe 8-9' tall. Instead of a circular door -that part was on the bottom so there was a slit in front- top to bottom. Maybe 5-7 poles. There was a mountain man movie starring Kirk Douglas made back in the 1950's-60's and it was very accurate. They had that type tent. On the books: William Drummond Stewart, Parker, Marcy- 3 sources.

Well, I'm just working from memory, maybe someone else has better data, but if I recall, they had a India Rubber tarp inside the tent as a floor and it rained and the tent leaked and there were puddles all over because the tarp held the water and he mentions a single pole.
On the circular. I've read in several sources (mountain man era) that old teepees were cut into a smaller version. Maybe 8-9' tall. Instead of a circular door -that part was on the bottom so there was a slit in front- top to bottom. Maybe 5-7 poles. There was a mountain man movie starring Kirk Douglas made back in the 1950's-60's and it was very accurate. They had that type tent. On the books: William Drummond Stewart, Parker, Marcy- 3 sources.
Photos from Indian camps from 1860s/70s show these, that post most of our time periods but I don’t think it was invented just in time for the photos. Indians of this time were illiterate and had not read R&Ks book on how to make a tipi.

Randolph Marcy in "The Prairie Traveler" claims these mini-teepees were a favorite of the old time mountaineers and William Drummond Stewart in one of his books speaks of the same thing. From what I can tell, the major difference is the opening. The mini-teepee is open to the top whereas a full sized teepee was pegged together in front with a circular hole for the door and smoke flaps on top- although I think the flaps might have been added later on. Early paintings don't show them.

Some events say, no "single pole tents", but some are more specific. For example Fort Frederick rules specify " Whelan’s, Bakers, Tipis, and single-pole pyramid or Hunter’s tents are not acceptable. " So a pyramid is a specific tent, and a "hunter's tent" is the same thing but with an awning sewn in. So..., from those rules, SOME single pole tents would be acceptable.

Tentsmiths makes a conical tent. It is NOT a Sibley tent, which was patented in 1856 and has a wall. The conical dates back to the Medieval era, and although some folks think it is some sort of "lodge", a tipi or lodge has multiple poles. Tentsmiths Conical Tent

An even older tent is a pavilion. It's also medieval and a single pole. Tentsmiths Pavilion Panther also sells a pavilion. Panther Pavilion

IF you're not worried about events, here is the Tentsmiths Pyramid These actually give you more space if you use two poles.

Panther makes conical one pole tent with a wall, which is their British Bell Tent Not sure how Sibley got his patent if these were used before 1856, but that's for another thread discussion.

Some folks rig a tarp into a diamond shelter, using one pole. Some folks "fudge" the situation and join a long pole and a short pole with a hinge, and say their diamond shelter is a "one pole". When I asked the user and made an expression of "Huh?" when he told me his was a "one pole tent", he shrugged and said, "Well I don't lose the [short] pole when they are joined with a hinge." ;).

It's really up to your budget and comfort needs.

DIAMOND SHELTER.JPG
DIAMOND SHELTER 2.jpg

LD

Last edited:
This statement is open certainly open for discussion. But while reading thru the diary of a Spanish priest accompanying the Journada of the Marquis de Aguayo (1720) along one of the Camino reals he notes that during a storm "the tent pole" of one of the soldados was struck by lightening. I believe this was a Bolton translation from probably the 19- teens, of the priest diary, but that statement "the tent pole" always aroused my curiosity. Was it some form of a single pole tent? Or just something the soldado put together? Or a translation gaff? Or simply a statement of a friar with no real concern for the second pole?
Just my rambling. We will truly never know.

I don't know if you ever found a tent that suits you, but I've had this one for 20 years and it has always done me right. I cut a gigantic piece of switchcane that I use for the pole. Its super light and very inherently sturdy. The tent is a 12x12.

https://www.rklodges.com/Lodges/Tents/forester.html
Unfortunately there are events a tgat abrtaraly decide that x isn’t acceptable.
As above with the Spanish tent we don’t know how it was configured.
Most tents would have been of a period design. Wedge the cheapest, marquee for gentleman. A man moving through the back country would make a lean to open faced, sleep under bluffs, or in a hollow stump, or sky roofed if none too bad.
If he used a tarp at several he put them up however conditions called for. On the high prairie there isn’t a sapling around every corner, and saplings didn’t abound in old first growth forest. So on Monday he had ample poles, on Tuesday one.
I recall reading about Red Buffalos family who had to bunk with Bloody Shirts family, as he snapped a pole on his lodge and didn’t have enough to set up his Tipi. 😊

Latest posts

Back