WANTED. a nice New Tent.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

TheBoat

36 Cl.
Reaction score
WANTED. a nice New Tent. or Bivy if you like that word.
Fishing Bivy.jpg
would like it for Hunting, Fishing trips. Not too big but big enough to get a couple Cots into. Something thats warm and will handle snowload. Have things to trade. [email protected]

TheBoat

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I have no idea who makes these Bivis. They seem to be popular in Europe, I'm sure that an American would be able to make a strong, waterproof, snowload tent big enough for a couple cots. with a full Roof ( none of that windowscreen stuff where all the rain comes in.) And also a heavy rainfly that goes over it and can act as a windbreak, sunroof when you could sit outside, have your campfire, propane stove, cooler etc.. it seems like people just don't want quality anymore in the USA. something has to change or there wont be a USA much longer.

Ponderosaman

50 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
To me a bivi is like a breathable, waterproof outer covering for a sleeping bag used in lieu of a polled structure like the one pictured, which I would call a tent. I do like that design, but it looks like you’d have to keep the garage door closed in heavy wind.

TheBoat

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Your results may vary? They make heavy Bivies large enough to park a van in. Sounds redundant as i customize my 1980 GMC 3/4 ton van into a camper and it worked well. I lived it all winter in the parking lot at the Submarine base in Groton CT and Kittery, ME . Did not even have heat. Found my old drafting tools and slide rule. So i made up a new word Arcuculture. Grow a home from grass and mud.
EEAD5120-3F42-494A-AE86-5E40B12D5500.jpeg

Last edited:

Sean Gadhar

69 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
:dunno: if you want warm. . . .

Okurok

32 Cal.
Reaction score
[
I have no idea who makes these Bivis. They seem to be popular in Europe, I'm sure that an American would be able to make a strong, waterproof, snowload tent big enough for a couple cots. with a full Roof ( none of that windowscreen stuff where all the rain comes in.) And also a heavy rainfly that goes over it and can act as a windbreak, sunroof when you could sit outside, have your campfire, propane stove, cooler etc.. it seems like people just don't want quality anymore in the USA. something has to change or there wont be a USA much longer.
The ice fishing then is nice but the Price is way out of my range.
This might answer the question.

New, quality, cheap.

One word of those 3 must go.

Sean Gadhar

69 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Warm + Tent + big enough to get a couple Cots into = $$$.

You can have two cheep, not really all three though. IMHO

mushka

36 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like Phil Coffins has what you might like. Water proof those things and they are real good.

nessmuk

40 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
A good rule of thumb is to spend more on your tent and sleeping bag then you spend for your rifle. There is nothing worse then a cold, wet night in a snow storm.

TheBoat

36 Cl.
Reaction score
yea, I went to Cabelas a few years back and dropped big Bucks on a new Browning Tent and top of the line Cots for myself and a old NAVY Buddy when I got a Bull Moose permit. Never took the stuff out of the box until we had driven 9 Hours ( 3 hours on washed out dirt roads into the North Maine woods) It was pouring raining and freezing cold. I went to put up the tent and it had No Pols, no rope, no sytakes and no rainfly. just some window screen on the top. So I bunched it all together and tied it up with $200. of Dacron Braided fishing line. cant say woke up as I never slept, soaking wet. remaining nights we slept in his little utility trailer with the tailgate open for air and still froze, at least he has a propane heater in it. So We cut the trip short as the weather was getting even worse, I bring the rolled up soaking wet tent into the Scarborough Maine Cabalas and want my money back. the Manager tells me to buy a better tent and go back Moose Hunting another time. He is an Asshole! Moose Tags are only by lottery and most people are lucky if they get one tag in their lifetime. Screw Cabelas. they should have given me a new tent and a big apology.

Ponderosaman

50 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
yea, I went to Cabelas a few years back and dropped big Bucks on a new Browning Tent and top of the line Cots for myself and a old NAVY Buddy when I got a Bull Moose permit. Never took the stuff out of the box until we had driven 9 Hours ( 3 hours on washed out dirt roads into the North Maine woods) It was pouring raining and freezing cold. I went to put up the tent and it had No Pols, no rope, no sytakes and no rainfly. just some window screen on the top. So I bunched it all together and tied it up with $200. of Dacron Braided fishing line. cant say woke up as I never slept, soaking wet. remaining nights we slept in his little utility trailer with the tailgate open for air and still froze, at least he has a propane heater in it. So We cut the trip short as the weather was getting even worse, I bring the rolled up soaking wet tent into the Scarborough Maine Cabalas and want my money back. the Manager tells me to buy a better tent and go back Moose Hunting another time. He is an Asshole! Moose Tags are only by lottery and most people are lucky if they get one tag in their lifetime. Screw Cabelas. they should have given me a new tent and a big apology.
100% agree that Cabelas dropped the ball on this one. Good warning to those reading to set set up their tent in the back yard before you need it in the cold.

sportster73hp

40 Cal
Reaction score
Bought my wall tent from Blockade runner inc. Google the website. They sell several styles and sizes, made from heavy canvas should last for years. Buy a set up kit which has poles, ropes , and stakes.

Ponderosaman

50 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I know it’s not always possible, but I like to set up camp in pretty good timber. This allows the tent to be less wind resistant and provides more opportunity for being taller to stand up in, made of more breathable materials to prevent condensation on the inside, and generally warmer nights. Of course the downside is having a tree snap and fall on you, but that is less likely than freezing your rear off when sleeping in a meadow. I’ve been in windstorms that above the trees I’d estimate 60 MPH gusts, but down below the timber its a third or less of that.

By the way, campfire life hack, a dug in type pit fire can keep you warm in direct high winds. The wind whipping over the hole doesn’t touch the fire except to keep it stoked and the radiant heat from the fire keeps you warm. Just be sure to use wood that doesn’t spark much so you don’t set the forest ablaze.

Kabulrocks

32 Cal
Reaction score
WANTED. a nice New Tent. or Bivy if you like that word. View attachment 98904 would like it for Hunting, Fishing trips. Not too big but big enough to get a couple Cots into. Something thats warm and will handle snowload. Have things to trade. [email protected]
I recently bought a used Cabela’s Alaskan Guide, 4 person size. I haven’t used it yet, but it appears to be a well made tent and has a full-sized rainfly. The six person tent might be the way to go for a couple of cots, more headroom, etc. https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/cabelas-alaskan-guide-model-geodesic-6-person-tent

TheBoat

36 Cl.
Reaction score
This WOOD Be perfect. all I need is a Barn to Build it in, preferably heated. Lots of free Cedar Lumber, Glue, Screws and a Body that will allow me to physically do something for more than 10-15 mins at a time without collapsing. Oh yea, and a big trailer to haul it into the wood on. anyone up for a Project?
Cedar Camper.png
[email protected]

Boatncamp

32 Cal.
Reaction score
you have brought up an expansive topic fabric shelters. Just how big do you want it to be? Do you need to be able to pack it into a site on your back or just pull it out of your vehicle? How much head room do you require? The more head room the less wind resistant it is. Do you want to install a wood stove in it?
If you need it to be packable, then something like the Eureka K 2 would be a good tent. These are used at Everest so they hold up to extreme weather but they lack head room and no stove pipe fitting. Not sure about putting a cot in it either but should fit two cots. Most tents have a rating on them, look for a 4 season tent, Full rain fly and many poles. 20 plus years ago I purchased a "family" tent 10'x12' with a full rainfly. it has four long poles that crisscross every which way to withstand strong winds. Good luck, not sure what is out there these days as most of what I see are really fair weather tents.

Woody

Latest posts