• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Want to put a Vernier rear sight on a Parker Hale Whitworth

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Soule type sights are used happily and successfully by many on military target rifles such as the Whitworth and Volunteer models. If period correct / spirit of the original is a factor, keep in mind that they post-date the rifles by 25 years. J.W. Soule patented his sight in the US in 1889 - so well into the breech loading era and unlikely ever to have been used on a British rifle from the 1860s.

David
Correct, but I don't think the Soule was available to shooters until 1892. Pedersoli makes a sight similar to the old Goodwin sight, but much heavier.

Correct, but I don't think the Soule was available to shooters until 1892. Pedersoli makes a sight similar to the old Goodwin sight, but much heavier.
Yes, the Soule sight posts dates the ‘muzzle loading era’.

About the only thing most Goodwin inspired sights have in common with the short lived original is the offset staff. As conceived it was an orthoptic device and used in conjunction with the foresight and barrel mounted rearsight. I have an original and information on my web site - Dr. Goodwin’s Orthoptic Screen Sight.

David

Lee helped me out years back with a Ardesa Rigby Creedmoor Match rifle .. It was missing its tang sight so I removed the tang from the rifle and shipped it to him. He fitted his staff on to my mount and shipped it back. Thanked him over the phone and got talking about his family name up here in Manitoba Canada .
BTW if you need a bullet mould for that Whitworth, Rick at Kaltool makes a very nice one. I have been to his shop and he does quality work.

I use a Lyman #20 front sight; it's .700" high, although not windage adj. It works well with my Pedersoli vernier rear sight with windage adj. and variable aperture/my Pedersoli vernier base is inletted into the wrist.

Back