• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Want to put a Vernier rear sight on a Parker Hale Whitworth

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cannonman1

40 Cal
Reaction score
I have an early (serial #50 ) Parker Hale Birmingham Whitworth that I want to put competition sighs on for long range. I am planning on doing a lyman aperture sight on the front with inserts, dovetailed in.. but the rear sight is a question??
Pedersoli makes an adapter for their Creedmoor sights but will that adapter fit a Parker Hale?? Anyone out there had this experience or have recommendations?
Now is the time to ask questions..

Bill

Cannonman1,
I have the Pedersoli sight base setup on my Navy Arms Parker Hale Whitworth. Maybe this will help.
Good luck, Kno-ie

Attachments

• 20210810_132232.jpg
    20210810_132232.jpg
    861 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210810_132315.jpg
    20210810_132315.jpg
    746.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210810_133605.jpg
    20210810_133605.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210810_133616.jpg
    20210810_133616.jpg
    768.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210813_114650.jpg
    20210813_114650.jpg
    951.5 KB · Views: 0
Can't help with the adapter. 20 years ago, when I had a Parker-Hale Volunteer (military stock same as the Whitworth), I just had the sight base mounted directly onto the stock. Give consideration as to the type of rearsight you choose. Some are intended for breech loaders with a lot more drop on the stock. If 'spirit of the original' is a factor, then when these rifles were being used for target shooting in the 1860s, elevation only was on the rearsight and windage adjustment on the foresight.

David

Yes.. Chose the Pedersoli Creedmoor (elevation only) as it fits the sight base shown. I believe it should be ok as far as slant for my Whitworth. We will see.
Thanks
Bill
Shooting at moderate ranges and not competition but open sights don't do justice for this rifle.. Got to let this thoroughbred run !!!

Are you using a Pedersoli Vernier Tang sight on the base??
Cannonman 1,
Yes to the Pedersoli Vernier Tang sight. There are a couple of things to consider. (1), The base is very thick. That will cause the lowest setting of the tang sight to be higher and will require a higher front sight to regulate to 100yds/meters. With what was contained with the order a base, tang sight, longer tang screw and a front globe sight. With this combination my lowest setting was 300yds. The only way to correct is to go with a higher front sight or mount/bury the tang sight in the wood at the wrist. I choose not too and just remove the tang for work at 1 to 300yds.. With my mid sight set at 300 this gives me at starting point of 100yds. with my load. For 300 and further the tang goes back on.
(2), The tang sight that came with base kit does not fold back across the comb of the stock, nor forward enough to be out of harms way if miss handled, (minor detail).
Lastly, To break everything down for a proper cleaning at the end of the year, the base has to be removed. This may seem to some a minor detail, but it requires everything removed to be reseated the under the same pressure prior to removal. Good bedding is needed.
As some have noted mounting the tang on or in the wrist is sometimes the best option, that I'll not argue and see a lot of merit in it. I choose not too but I danced with the devil until I got what I liked and was happy with.
Hope this helps,
Kno-ie

Cannonman 1,
Yes to the Pedersoli Vernier Tang sight. There are a couple of things to consider. (1), The base is very thick. That will cause the lowest setting of the tang sight to be higher and will require a higher front sight to regulate to 100yds/meters. With what was contained with the order a base, tang sight, longer tang screw and a front globe sight. With this combination my lowest setting was 300yds. The only way to correct is to go with a higher front sight or mount/bury the tang sight in the wood at the wrist. I choose not too and just remove the tang for work at 1 to 300yds.. With my mid sight set at 300 this gives me at starting point of 100yds. with my load. For 300 and further the tang goes back on.
(2), The tang sight that came with base kit does not fold back across the comb of the stock, nor forward enough to be out of harms way if miss handled, (minor detail).
Lastly, To break everything down for a proper cleaning at the end of the year, the base has to be removed. This may seem to some a minor detail, but it requires everything removed to be reseated the under the same pressure prior to removal. Good bedding is needed.
As some have noted mounting the tang on or in the wrist is sometimes the best option, that I'll not argue and see a lot of merit in it. I choose not too but I danced with the devil until I got what I liked and was happy with.
Hope this helps,
Kno-ie
My plan is to install a lyman front sight which is a lot taller than normal profile.. Will see how that works.

Attachments

• lyman sight.jpg
    lyman sight.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 0
I started shooting my .451 Volunteer with the iron ladder sights and a blade front because I'm weird and so far I'm having fun with it. I put tang sights on my Pedersoli Hawkens and made them into nice target rifles, so I didn't want to start tang sighting everything I own.

Yes.. Chose the Pedersoli Creedmoor (elevation only) as it fits the sight base shown. I believe it should be ok as far as slant for my Whitworth. We will see.
My plan is to install a lyman front sight which is a lot taller than normal profile.. Will see how that works.
If you plan on installing a period correct elevation only rearsight, you will need a foresight adjustable for windage. Not sure how you plan on accounting for windage adjustment with the Lyman sight illustrated, other than by aiming off. If you need that tall a foresight, then consider fitting a spirit level - this will aid in eliminating sighting errors caused by variable cant.

David

If you plan on installing a period correct elevation only rearsight, you will need a foresight adjustable for windage. Not sure how you plan on accounting for windage adjustment with the Lyman sight illustrated, other than by aiming off. If you need that tall a foresight, then consider fitting a spirit level - this will aid in eliminating sighting errors caused by variable cant.

David
Excellent point.. I will need to ponder that. May need to have windage adjustment in the tang after all. Good point about the spirit level also.
Can you suggest a source for an adjustable front sight that has good height??

If I remember correctly, the pedersoli base comes with a tang screw. That screw will not fit in the P/H trigger guard threads. And, the P/H tang screw is not long enough to go through the Pedersoli base and fit into the trigger guard (Maybe a couple of threads but not all). Also, I found the WIlliams Gun Sight globe front site and base worked well. It raises the front sight and provides windage adjustment. Comes with inserts.

https://shop.williamsgunsight.com/e...sight-with-inserts-less-attaching-base-047478

If I remember correctly, the pedersoli base comes with a tang screw. That screw will not fit in the P/H trigger guard threads. And, the P/H tang screw is not long enough to go through the Pedersoli base and fit into the trigger guard (Maybe a couple of threads but not all). Also, I found the WIlliams Gun Sight globe front site and base worked well. It raises the front sight and provides windage adjustment. Comes with inserts.

https://shop.williamsgunsight.com/e...sight-with-inserts-less-attaching-base-047478
If the Pedersoli base replacement tang screw will not fit the threads I guess I am back to my starting place. Short of screwing the sight base to the wood, what options are there?? So much for interchangeable parts.. LOL

I think the pedersoli base was designed to fasten through the tang screw hole, and a wood screw at the rear. Dont know what the PH tang screw thread is, but perhaps one modern one could be located long enough to fit through the Pedersoli base. Could blue the screw head.

Pedersoli mount requires a wood screw be placed in the stock.

No NOT TRUE:doh: have one oh Sharps NO WOOD SCREW
Irrespective of what you have on your Sharps - the discussion is about the Pedersoli sight base for their Whitworth rifle. :doh:

See Dixie Gun Works for more information - "Made by Pedersoli for use on the Pedersoli and Navy Arms Whitworth and Volunteer rifles. The rear sight mount is color casehardened steel and comes with a longer replacement tang screw to fit the mentioned guns and one wood screw to attach the base to the stock."

David

Excellent point.. I will need to ponder that. May need to have windage adjustment in the tang after all. Good point about the spirit level also.
Can you suggest a source for an adjustable front sight that has good height??
Have a look at the Pedersoli sight base that Dixie Gun Works have. It includes a foresight base that's used to elevate the sight. You need to check with someone who has experience of this set up, but it appears the base elevates the sight such that 'standard' ones can be used. It may then be a simple case of fitting an adjustable foresight to that base.

David

Have a look at the Pedersoli sight base that Dixie Gun Works have. It includes a foresight base that's used to elevate the sight. You need to check with someone who has experience of this set up, but it appears the base elevates the sight such that 'standard' ones can be used. It may then be a simple case of fitting an adjustable foresight to that base.

David
Dixie is where I ordered the rear sight base.. I am on the hunt for a variable front sight..

Back