• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Want to convert to a Flinlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juggernaut

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a CVA Kentucky Pistol I want to convert her over to a flintlock. Anyone done this?

Thanks
Juggernaut

Yep, I bought a cva flintlock lock and did er up. The biggest problem I had was getting the drum out. In fact, I couldn't get it out and ended up cutting and filing it flush and tapping it for a touch hole liner. It works great as far as reliability, when it doesn't go off it's usually my neglet. The accuracy isn't all that great but to be fair I haven't put a lot of time into geting it sighted in either.

desert rat,

Did you get the lock from CVA or from another source?

Thanks

Juggernaut

At the the time I got it from CVA, but it was before they went to the "dark side." Deer Creek would probably have one that's gonna fit without having to do any altering.

I did it 30+ years ago.This was my first muzzleloading gun. I bought the kit when I got my first paycheck from my first summer job after high school. I bought the percussion version because it was a few dollars cheaper and I was saving my money for college in the fall. The next year, when I could afford it, I bought a CVA flint lock for it. found me a bolt that matched the percussin drum threads and made me a touchhole liner. The pistol sat on my dormroom bookshelf all through college. When my RA saw it he asked me if that was a real gun. I said "It's just a modern copy," and he said "Oh, that's OK then." As you can see, I did stuff to it that I know now isn't right for it (like the grotesque mask butt cap) but I was proud of it.
Dave T.
cvapistol.jpg

Desert Rat said:
At the the time I got it from CVA, but it was before they went to the "dark side." Deer Creek would probably have one that's gonna fit without having to do any altering.
Thanks I will look into that, you have a url or a web site?

Juggernaut

They don't have a website but here's their phone # 765-525-6181. They're good folks to deal with and will do anything and everything they can to help.

Desert Rat said:
They don't have a website but here's their phone # 765-525-6181. They're good folks to deal with and will do anything and everything they can to help.

Thanks Desert Rat for the numbers I will give them a call.And see what that have in Flintlock's to replace my Cap lock.

I almost confused your name "Desert Rat" with Erwin Johannes Eugen Rommel the "Desert Fox"

Juggernaut

Thank you, but trust me I have nothing in commom with the great tactician other than my ancestors are of German descent.

I picked the name cause I live in the middle of the desert and like to wander around in it. :grin:

Latest posts

Back