• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Walnut!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nwpahunter415

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I have worked at lumber mills my whole life. My current job I have had for quite awhile and I have access at all this walnut and I've been thinking of some things I could make from it. I think I wanna make a loading board out of one.
20230220_104352.jpg

Id be afraid it would crack under use. All my rifle stocks are walnut. I have boken made of walnut and it is a wall hanger. To light and would snap in half with the first strike.

I have worked at lumber mills my whole life. My current job I have had for quite awhile and I have access at all this walnut and I've been thinking of some things I could make from it. I think I wanna make a loading board out of one.View attachment 200496
I've been thinking of a small cutting board to pack in my gear for cutting up dried sausages, cheese, dried fruit, veggies, and such for meals out in the woods and fields.
maybe cut up twist or plug pipe tobacco on the other side?
Walnut planking would be ideal for this. Might be an idea for you to try, might make good gifts for the women in the family or even a source of a little extra income.

After loggers go through around here, there's another guy that buys stumps to dig out. Friend of mine thought that crazy - that he could get $15 for a stump. Told him what a fancy walnut rough blank for a shotgun buttstock sells for. I really don't think he believed it to be true. Stump digger and helpers knew which ones to dig and were very careful.

I've been thinking of a small cutting board to pack in my gear for cutting up dried sausages, cheese, dried fruit, veggies, and such for meals out in the woods and fields.
maybe cut up twist or plug pipe tobacco on the other side?
Walnut planking would be ideal for this. Might be an idea for you to try, might make good gifts for the women in the family or even a source of a little extra income.
That's a great idea

After loggers go through around here, there's another guy that buys stumps to dig out. Friend of mine thought that crazy - that he could get $15 for a stump. Told him what a fancy walnut rough blank for a shotgun buttstock sells for. I really don't think he believed it to be true. Stump digger and helpers knew which ones to dig and were very careful.
$15.00 for a Walnut stump? That is way to cheap. A walnut stump can bring as much as the whole tree.

I use different woods for the boards I make they are all 1/4 in. thick, keep them well-oiled or greased with the patch lube I use, bees wax, Crisco and a bit of olive oil. The boards range in size from .32 cal. to 62 cal. they are used a good bit and over the years never had one crack or split. if concerned a neat trick and it makes a nice board is to plane the wood to 1/8in. thick and back it with a piece of bone the same thickness, this also makes a nice-looking board. Just some ideals that has worked for me over the years.

Latest posts

Back