• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Walnut Stocked 32 Caliber Mule Ear

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here is my latest build that I finished today. It is a .32 caliber, 37" long - 13/16" Rice barrel, Davis (Bivin's style) single trigger with a L&R Mule Ear lock. The LOP is 13 1/4" with 1 1/2" drop at the comb and 3 3/4" drop at the heel. The stock is a good piece of American Walnut. The style/school is supposed to be close to a Lehigh, but I used a lot of builders preference. On to my next one which is going to be a left hand custom Mule Ear in a fine piece of Maple.

32A.jpg
32B.jpg
32C.jpg
32D.jpg
32E.jpg
32F.jpg
32G.jpg
32H.jpg
32I.jpg
32J.jpg

Bigfoot, I had not either - until I found one. It is custom made and one of the finest locks I have had the pleasure of holding. The workmanship is superb. It has a quarter cock, half cock and full cock. I wish I could get someone to build them for me as I have a lot of requests. I already have a great piece of Maple to build it with, so I must go that route. It will be special. This one may be spoken for, but if not you will see it listed here.

I used three soaking coats of TOW Original Oil followed by two coats of Chambers Oil. After the last coat of Chambers dried real good, I used Scotch Brite pads (red) to bring it down to a finished state and finally steel wooled it with 4 ought.

Ive always wanted a mule ear rifle. That is one very fine example sir.
Thank you very much. I am currently concentrating on only building mule ear rifles, with a few flint locks thrown in here and there. I have found them to be very popular with both shooters and hunters. The biggest problem is trying to guess what caliber to go with.

That’s very nice looking. The lock makes it all the more interesting. I agree with the poster above that we need more walnut stocks, too.

I agree about the walnut stocks. I am trying to build most of mine with it at this time. I am considering doing a few in English Walnut, but with a price of around $600 per blank, it kinda puts them out of the price range most buyers want.

That's an amazingly beautiful rifle. I like the clean lines of it, and especially the lock.

Thanks for the compliments.

The ignition is very effective, fast and reliable. Because it is just the nipple, it is also very easy to clean. Another positive about these type of locks is the trigger pull. With those that I have built with, a single trigger is all you need to get a crisp/light pull.

there is just something about a SIDE SLAPPER!! once bit by one, shooting it you are a slave / junkie with a spike in your vein to it! they have a special place in history. though not good when hunting in brushy areas.

The Lehigh / Philadelphia school lineage is quite clear, and this is a well done build. You certainly free lanced from a direct architectural copy, but it is not at all an unpleasing gun to look at, unlike so many other "fantasy" guns.

Back