• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Walnut SMR finish

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D36695C5-6C1D-40D5-B4B4-5A661700FC38.jpeg

Black walnut; Birchwood Casey Gun Stock Filler & Sealer + Tru-Oil + Johnson Paste Floor Wax.

Hi,
I am glad to see folks providing photos of their finishes. It should really help the OP to be able to see the results of any recommendations. On civilian guns stocked in walnut (American black or English), I usually stain the stock with yellow aniline dye dissolved in water. That kills the cold purple-brown of most black walnut, which I do not like at all. I also do this to make black walnut look more like English walnut. Here are a few examples showing the yellow stain.
YR7wZHE.jpg

XM4WIrR.jpg

Here is what it looks like when finish is applied.
ktxZYNX.jpg

tal4IgE.jpg

For a fine finish on walnut, after staining, I apply finish with 220 grit sandpaper. I usually use Sutherland-Welles polymerized tung oil in medium sheen. I sand as I apply until I create a slurry of finish and sawdust on the surface.
ti0ja5W.jpg

I let that dry into a crust and sand it back to smooth with 320 grit paper. The slurry fills the grain nicely. Then just a few coats of finish are needed on top to bring up whatever sheen you desire. Here is that rifle shown above finished. It is English walnut but the process is the same:
dhCs9dx.jpg

wmfwxzk.jpg

dave

Back