• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Walnut Kibler .45cal SMR, long wait

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went with walnut, too but decided on a darker stain. Used LMF American Walnut stain and Permalyn finish and sealer.

Attachments

• 3243AD91-17AE-425D-9252-9635ED956C64.jpeg
    3243AD91-17AE-425D-9252-9635ED956C64.jpeg
    129.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Can you please describe exactly what you did? I think I am going for that same look.

It's been over a year so I don't remember exactly what I did other than follow the directions on the Permalyn containers. I think I did three coats of finish and three coats of sealer. I do remember that the walnut stain was REALLY dark and I was concerned I had over done it with just the first application so test it out on someplace safe (inside of the barrel channel) before you commit.

Four months from order until delivery of kit (supply issues) can't be helped these days. The wait was well worth it. I think Mr. Kibler is quite generous with wood grading. This walnut has plenty of figure and produced a very nice golden red walnut tone. Of course my amateur photography does not do full justice to the appearance.
For those wondering what skill and experience level is necessary in order to complete a Kibler kit I will say this. This is rifle number six that I have completed. Four previous kits and one full build from a stock blank before this Kibler, all done in my workshop. I am by no means what-so-View attachment 138004View attachment 138004ever in the league of many artisans that display their art on this site. To the contrary I am all thumbs by comparison. That said, this assembly was done entirely on my kitchen table without benefit of a vice, using only a few hand tools.
Mahogany stain diluted 50/50 with alcohol, grey metal using Kibler's recommended JAX Brass Black, five coats of Minwax Antique Oil Finish, and ramrod dyed with ebony stain for contrast.
I appreciate the skill that is represented by ornate and fancy rifles. However, my personal preference is for a plain, workman like tool of a rifle such as the likes of a 19th century farmer or frontiersman of modest but adequate means might own. This SMR fits that bill nicely. If she proves to be a good shooter she will be logging a great deal of time in the forest.
Nice job, my tastes in SMR's are much the same! I want the fit ,finish an architecture of wood and metal to adorn the rifle with perhaps a bit of modest carving instead of all the crow bait of charms and other clutter that muck up the appearance! I also very much prefer the redish high lights of stock finish compared to the dark look of Aqua-force , which probably is a small departure from the original look .

Four months from order until delivery of kit (supply issues) can't be helped these days. The wait was well worth it. I think Mr. Kibler is quite generous with wood grading. This walnut has plenty of figure and produced a very nice golden red walnut tone. Of course my amateur photography does not do full justice to the appearance.
For those wondering what skill and experience level is necessary in order to complete a Kibler kit I will say this. This is rifle number six that I have completed. Four previous kits and one full build from a stock blank before this Kibler, all done in my workshop. I am by no means what-so-View attachment 138004View attachment 138004ever in the league of many artisans that display their art on this site. To the contrary I am all thumbs by comparison. That said, this assembly was done entirely on my kitchen table without benefit of a vice, using only a few hand tools.
Mahogany stain diluted 50/50 with alcohol, grey metal using Kibler's recommended JAX Brass Black, five coats of Minwax Antique Oil Finish, and ramrod dyed with ebony stain for contrast.
I appreciate the skill that is represented by ornate and fancy rifles. However, my personal preference is for a plain, workman like tool of a rifle such as the likes of a 19th century farmer or frontiersman of modest but adequate means might own. This SMR fits that bill nicely. If she proves to be a good shooter she will be logging a great deal of time in the forest.
Beautiful very nicely done! I have the same rifle in walnut too although darker. Love the Mahogany color love the rifle I’m sure they are all the same highly reliable and accurate. Great job! Enjoy it!

Oh my! That's one sweet rifle. Congratulations

Contrary to your comment about photography, I think you have succeeded where others have failed.

I'm Interested in your experience cleaning up machine marks on the barrel. I understand that some scraping is required.

Nice job, and with digital cameras, anyone can be a "pro" photographer! I'd never heard of the JAX, must look into that. Great photos; yes, Mr. Kibler has a sterling reputation.

Beautiful job! I've got similar tastes on adornment. I like the ones with carving, but simplicity with perfectly fitted pieces is so classy. I'm sure getting a yearning to build one myself. You guys are such a BAD influence. 😢

Latest posts

Back