• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Walnut hulls

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juniata

40 Cal
Reaction score
I played around for the first time with walnut hulls, I watched several videos on how to do it.
I was going for a lighter color, and I got dark and light spots, gives it a "grungy" look. I like it!
I dyed my Townsends frock, a hunting shirt and a work shirt.
PXL_20220915_222919984~2.jpg

Great looking outfit! I think Turkey Foot Trading Company and Forge sells Black Walnut Powder by the pound. $20.00 per pound.
I have not bought anything from them, but they are bookmarked on this computer.

Very nice setup.
I’ve got a couple gallons of black walnut dye made up. Very strong dye that turns my traps a nice dark black color. I’m planning on mixing some in my BLO mixture for a tarp.

5BE2273C-F363-4B6B-A8D5-6146404FC574.jpeg
I dyed mine last year( I traded to a member here) with a walnut recipe.
I ended up mixing the hulls with a pint of whisky. The recipe called for a lb of hulls and some “spirts”, let sit together for a week and wash fabric with the solution and air dry as needed for layers.

How do you make walnut powder?
Just funnin ya above....

I think it is ground outer hulls that have been dried and ground up. They look like ground up shells, but most folks I've seen making walnut dye are using the outer hull. So, I am assuming it is this outer hull that is processed to make the dye powder.

Just funnin ya above....

I think it is ground outer hulls that have been dried and ground up. They look like ground up shells, but most folks I've seen making walnut dye are using the outer hull. So, I am assuming it is this outer hull that is processed to make the dye powder.
They sell ground walnut hulls as a medium to use cleaning rifle/pistol brass in tumblers. Do you think you could use that as a dye? ??? :dunno:

Latest posts

Back