• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Wallflower guns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a cannon that I haven't shot in 30 years. Last time I did, a neighbor claimed that the concussion blew in some windows of her house and it cost me a couple hundred bucks to keep the peace. The wooden frames were quite rotted and I suppose the shock wave could have been the final straw.
Got some city denizens that moved out close to the farm and call the cops even if I'm well across the section line into the parish area.
I'd be willing to just borrow that for a good week or so.
Same type of deal as when a kid taking Grandpa's looking glass out in the yard and focusing the sun on a fire ant hill.

I've been making a point to shoot anything I haven't shot yet, only two haven't been taken to the range. I told my wife I could probably sell half the guns and be just as well off but I can't decide which half :(

PIKER'S ! I've got my first 'attempt' from 1967 still. Probably last fired in the early 70's. AND. I still have the 1967 Dixie Gunworks Cat. from then, #117 that I bought the parts from. It's a .32 flint with Douglas bbl. and Russ Hamm lock. A short time back there was a thread here about those 'first guns' and I was going to put it up for laughs then a bunch of really nice stuff got posted and, well, it wasn't so funny anymore. For those who remember those old DGW catalogues Turner had a pic of his first pistol in there, remember ? Mines not quite that bad....., but. :) Anyway, it's what I ended up with without the benefit of any real tools. Think sharpened screwdrivers for chisels etc. (chuckle).

I have a rifle that was found in an antique shop. I bought it as a wall hanger. Never tried to shoot it. That rifle raised the curiosity level. So, I bought a T/C Hawken kit and taught myself through the T/C booklet on how to load and fire the rifle.
40 years later and many rifles and pistols built, here I am. I would rather shoot bp rifles more than my unmentionable firearms. Flint locks even more than cap locks.

my personal defense pistol (1851 in fantasy .44) gets fired very rarely, last time I shot it (recently) it sat in its' hidey hole for 4 years loaded ready just in case
all 6 fired first try and just dandy

my blunderbuss sat 6 months from purchase to actual firing it

Haven't shot my CVA parts gun in about 3 or 4 years. (cobbled together from 3 different rifles, Mountain stalker barrel, Bobcat lock and a Pioneer stock, shoots great)

Haven't shot my Renegade in a very long time. Haven't hunted the last few years due to medical issues. Want to but I am not spry like I used to be.

Mainly I got them to have them at this point. I like looking at them. Figure they are just part of my other half's retirement fund for the most part. :)

Other than the unmentionables and a couple original front loaders most get shot within a few days. Although I do have one I built 3 years ago and never fired. Can't explain that.

I have a beautiful Hawken built by Tom Nixon with a Bill Large 4J barrel and Bob Roller lock and triggers. I've had it about 10 years, never shot it. I'm afraid to ding the wood.

A few years ago, I told myself that I would buy a new gun every time some politician said something stupid about guns or gun control. I ended up buying quite a number of guns - both BP and unmentionable - that have never been fired. Now - if I told myself that I would take one to the range every time a politician said something stupid..... well I'd be spending a lot of time at range.

I let my grandson handle my Kentucky pistol (.45 CVA). He wanted to play "pirate". Anyway he dropped it and bent the hammer. That was 11 or 12 (or more?) years ago and the hammer is still bent. I use it for parts. Screws and such fit my other 3 CVA guns.That grandson is now 23.

Just one. A Pietta 1851 in .44 caliber. Bought it in May of this year and haven’t shot it yet. Don’t know if I ever will. If someone around here had a flintlock rifle to trade, I would probably be willing to make a trade with it.

I have one I saw and bought on the spot simply because the wood is so gorgeous. It is on the wall. I'm not opposed to shooti.g it just dont new it for that.

I have only one actual wall gun and it's the first .45 I ever bought. It's a good 55 years old and its hunting days are over. During its active days it supplied me with squirrel, deer and bobcats. That guy has more than earned his retirement.

Over the years I have had three guns I never shot; an Ethan-Allen pepperbox, and a muzzleloader I bought from a Turkish man just across the Iraqi border. Neither gun was actually shootable. The rest got fired just as quickly as I could do so... some took serious cleaning first, so maybe a couple of days.

Probably about 25 years since I have shot a .45 flintlock rifle I had built. It’s a really nice one that now hangs proudly on a wall. I just got into focusing on other ones. I should bring it out and shoot it again.

Attachments

• 7D0BD163-5F56-4473-9CFC-A7B17369B990.jpeg
    7D0BD163-5F56-4473-9CFC-A7B17369B990.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • FCECA265-B03E-4DCE-99A6-369209ADD8CB.jpeg
    FCECA265-B03E-4DCE-99A6-369209ADD8CB.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Back