• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Wallflower guns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Horse

40 Cal
Reaction score
I must confess. My wife recently said to me, you know I was cleaning and I see all these guns around the house that you never use. Where did they all come from and why did you buy them? Now I rarely buy guns any more. I have some I use a good bit but have more that I never shoot and in fact have four percussion revolvers two rifle muskets that are unfired nib and a caverly carbine that I bought used but looks unfired. I probably should re-home them but figure some day I'll get them dirty.
Anyway, whats the longest you have had a black powder gun without ever having shot it?
Not trying to sell them just curious.

I bought a Kentucky pistol almost a year ago. The guy selling it said it was a 50 caliber. When I received it, I looked it over quick and put it away.
I finally brought it and one rifle to the range last month to shoot both pieces.
I finally discovered that the pistol is a 45 not 50. I didn't have any 440 balls with, so the pistol didn't get fired.
Don't know when I'll get around to it now.

I have an original Model 1841 Mississippi rifle and Colt Model 1855 revolving carbine that I got 35 years ago that I've never shot. Never will either. Too many other more modern options in the toy box to play with to risk doing damage to an original.

Last edited:
I have a cannon that I haven't shot in 30 years. Last time I did, a neighbor claimed that the concussion blew in some windows of her house and it cost me a couple hundred bucks to keep the peace. The wooden frames were quite rotted and I suppose the shock wave could have been the final straw.

I had a CVA mountain pistol, back about 1990 I found a crack in the stock, my tuit was tied up and it wasn’t until 2018 or so I got around to restocking it. Sold it sometime there after never shot in its new form, and not used since cracked

9 days is the longest I have ever gone without shooting a new gun of any kind. The average is about 2 days and that seems like an eternity. Why by them if you're not going to shoot them....

9 days is the longest I have ever gone without shooting a new gun of any kind. The average is about 2 days and that seems like an eternity. Why by them if you're not going to shoot them....
Some were bought as investments. Originals many times are one-of-a-kind with no hope of finding replacement parts. "Commemoratives", for example, have basically two high price points - the first when they come out and the second years later. Sometimes commemoratives (created as collector's items, not shooters) actually go down in value for awhile - like when too many are made and the market saturated, or when the specific event/personage loses public interest.

Personally, I've bought used commemoratives that had been shot, because the originals were way out of my budget. I've enjoyed shooting/hunting with those for many years.

Kinda like buying a new sports car, putting it in storage, and hoping to pay for your kid's college 20 years later. More fun than buying savings bonds and sometimes it works.

I must confess. My wife recently said to me, you know I was cleaning and I see all these guns around the house that you never use. Where did they all come from and why did you buy them? Now I rarely buy guns any more. I have some I use a good bit but have more that I never shoot and in fact have four percussion revolvers two rifle muskets that are unfired nib and a caverly carbine that I bought used but looks unfired. I probably should re-home them but figure some day I'll get them dirty.
Anyway, whats the longest you have had a black powder gun without ever having shot it?
Not trying to sell them just curious.
I just love all guns period …shoot them when I want to ….not because someone thinks I should be shooting them…never wore one out yet and have several that I have not shot…

I went a whole week before shooting my 54 'cause I had to order balls and all that other caliber specific stuff

But I did pop a cap as soon as I got it home

I bought a Kentucky pistol almost a year ago. The guy selling it said it was a 50 caliber. When I received it, I looked it over quick and put it away.
I finally brought it and one rifle to the range last month to shoot both pieces.
I finally discovered that the pistol is a 45 not 50. I didn't have any 440 balls with, so the pistol didn't get fired.
Don't know when I'll get around to it now.
I'll PM the mailing address of my farm so you can send it there for safe and proper disposal.
Really! I'm willing to do that for a fellow forum member.
Just being helpful and all.
:ghostly:

This thread makes me think. I've shot every gun I own - but - over time I have evolved(?) to the point that I only shoot about 3 guns regularly. I have my English Sporting rifle that I hunt everything with regardless of season. I swithch barrels on the same stock and have my shotgun. I have a single shot .22 behind the back door that takes care of critters in the yard. I have an unmentionable pistol I'll carry if I don't carry a rifle. The other guns I suppose have become wallflowers. Bless their little lonesome hearts. I do take them out and rub on 'em occasionally. They still bring me joy to own.

Latest posts

Back