• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Walking stick glue

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Only indirectly ML related, but I have a very old walking stick that needs some glue. It is black thorn, and there is a silver plate with my GG granfater's name engraved. The plate was atttached where the palm of a hand would rest. That plate has come off. There was clearly some sort of glue holding it on. You guys who have had experience restoring old guns, do you use hide glue to fix things like this, or would yo use a modern glue? I want to keep the stick authentic, and although the glue wont show i want to know what I use is acceptable for a restoration.

Hide glue is nice for veneering and musical instruments, wood to wood, but I would question it for metal to wood. Epoxy would be a better choice.
You could also pin it in place like an inlay. If you don't want to see the heads of two pins, solder the pins to the back of the plate and tap it into place, with some epoxy.
Real epoxy, not that 5 minute stuff.

Back