• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Walker

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mowolf

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Been thinking of picking up a Walker to add to my collection. One complaint I have heard is that the loading lever has a tendency to drop when you shoot. Is this a major issue? The reason I am interested in the Walker is that it carries enough of a load to actually use for deer hunting.

MoWolf

It could become an issue---however is you stay with the better repros (your choice), the problem is fixable. I have used mine for target shooting, hunting and have not experienced the problem because I made some minor adjustment that worked. :v "Doc"

I haven't experienced that with mine even while shooting heavy charges. I have heard of it and seen it happen with others. Not sure who manufactured them? Biggest difficulty I've had is once fired the cap can sometimes break apart and jam the whole operation making it difficult to cock it for another shot. This however is not something known only to Walkers, it's inherent to the Colt BP pistol designs of the era. Still in my opinion a fine design and you will be very happy with that Walker, once you get used to the weight.... :2

The loading lever dropping is a historic part of the Walker. It was one of the major problems with the originals and was one of the first things that was changed when the 1st model Dragoon pistol was designed.

If one is aware of this it only takes a second to push it back up in place before cocking for the next shot.

Tightening the screw on the lever helps solve the problem. Also some folks file a little bit on the lever latch so it catches better. Search the forum archives and you'll see the threads.

Dave

Heard that some early gunsmiths fixed the problem by installing a latch on the front of the loading lever like the later Colts. Can't say I ever saw an original w/ this modification, but I did this on my Italian Walker & it works. I got a Remington latch setup from Numrich Arms, & didn't take long to install.

I left my 3rd gen Walker as is, & live w/ the occasional dropping lever. One of these days I'll take this brace of wristbreakers to our local SASS shoot just for grins, & will probably use a string over the latch on the 3rd gen to keep it in place.

Zonie said:
The loading lever dropping is a historic part of the Walker. It was one of the major problems with the originals and was one of the first things that was changed when the 1st model Dragoon pistol was designed.

If one is aware of this it only takes a second to push it back up in place before cocking for the next shot.

Thirty five years ago I was introduced to "The Walker Slap" by a wonderful place called Deep River Armory in Houston.
Seemed that some people wouldn't have one if you gave it to them and some loved them, hunted deer with them and generally reveled in new and inventive ways to keep their pants up.

I agree with Zonie here. The issue with the loading lever is a historical factor that makes the Walker unique. When it does fall, just reach up with your opposite hand and put it back in place. Over time, you will probably not notice the extra second of time involved.

I shoot two of them. One is a 1970's era Replica Arms and the other is a recent Uberti. The lever falls frequently on both of them. I give the issue little thought now that I am familiar with this model. The solutions offered by other members work very well if you do not want to deal with the loading lever unlatching on occasion.

Either way, I strongly suggest that you do get a Walker. The Walker will make a nice addition to your collection and add an element of pure enjoyment to your handgunning experience.

I, too, used suffer from the Walker 'sagging loading lever' syndrome.

I use a 'traditional rubber band' around it to prevent it from taking place.

tac
Walker #1816

Is it the same color as the gun-blue "traditional" one that I use? :idunno: :haha:

Gets an odd look once in a while, but gets the job done!

Dave

I favor the more traditional blues when I can find them.
I am developing some pretty entertaining arthritis in my hands-one joint replacement so far.
Makes the Walker uncomfortable to handle.
I'm on the brink of being a safety hazard with any handgun.

GoodCheer said:
Zonie said:

Thirty five years ago I was introduced to "The Walker Slap" by a wonderful place called Deep River Armory in Houston.
Seemed that some people wouldn't have one if you gave it to them and some loved them, hunted deer with them and generally reveled in new and inventive ways to keep their pants up.

Kind of hard when you're shooting two together in CAS.

Piece of rawhide to hold up the lever is much better.

i was actually hopping over to the forum to put up the same post. i want one to! where did you guys get yours from and how much were they?

Long ago, I bought a San Marco 'kit' Walker, $125.00. Right out of the box, the action was as smooth as any gun I own. I 'fire blued' the frame such that it looks caehardened, using a propane torch. I've shot some 'ugly' loads through her and never had the lever drop.

To keep the lever from falling you can drill a hole through the plunger as close to the frame as possible.(WITH THE LEVER UP)
Then use a pin through the hole to keep the lever in place.
You can get as fancy as you want on the pin so you can get a grip on it to pull it out.
I use a pin flatened on the end with a hole and a ring through it for easy removal.

Had a Uberti a few years back, performed well.
The only problem I had was the front sight was to low which caused it to shoot high, had a friend replace with a higher blade.

The loading lever thing really isn't an issue in a hunting situation anyway; get the job done with your first shot. Follow up shots rarely do any good. Remember the old saying "One shot; dead deer. Two shots; maybe. Three shots; never."

Just file a small notch in the loading lever spring, doesn't take long and works like a champ. :thumbsup:

latch.jpg

Back