• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Walker Mainspring compressor

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Just wondering how you guys hold the mainspring when disassembling the pistol.

Took a little brainstorming to come up with a solution involving a 3/4" open end wrench and padding.

Wondering how it's supposed to be done and if there's a special tool for the job.

Main springs in the revolvers can be challenging. The few walkers I have worked on I just used a pair of flat nose pliers. I know, doesn't sound kosher. I think a vise could be made with simple tools like a small hand vise. Just never had a reason to make one. Not too many of those cannons around my parts.

Last edited:
I didn't want to mar the brass front strap. Tried some needle nose visegrips first, but they'd slip off. Too much of an angle.

That's a good idea using a crescent wrench. Channel locks would work, but then you'd have to hold them while removing/replacing the screws with your other hand.

Come to think of it, I might just have a hand vise that would work. Thanks for the idea!

Most of the time you can stack your thumbs on the spring, press down and slide the spring down from under the hammer. If that won't work, you can simply push the spring out from under the hammer to either side. To install just push down and swing back under the hammer. No real need for any tools.

Mike

Latest posts

Back