• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Walker Colt loading lever tie down

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawney Beane

32 Cal
Reaction score
I followed your links and used the "Copy Image" feature on my computer. I'll "Paste" the images below

100_1266.JPG

100_1268.JPG

You might try using this method. It's much better than making people follow links to other sites. :)

I followed your links and used the "Copy Image" feature on my computer. I'll "Paste" the images below

100_1266.JPG

100_1268.JPG

You might try using this method. It's much better than making people follow links to other sites. :)
Thanks a heap!

Pretty sure if I owned a Walker, I'd fit a Dragoon lever and latch to it.

There's a more elegant way to address the Walker lever. I made this adjustment to a Walker and can fire full 60 grain loads with out the lever drooping. Look carefully at were the spring holds the lever, in the first photo it's as is came. I removed the spring from it's dovetail and filed the part of the spring's base that the lever stops on. Reinstalled the lever snaps up tight to the barrel as in the second photo. Easy to do and nothing to come loose.
IMG_1278 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr
IMG_1279 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr

Couple of my granddaughter's hair bands work on my Dragoon. They even come in black (although I'd have to buy those myself)
lever.jpg

Couple of my granddaughter's hair bands work on my Dragoon. They even come in black (although I'd have to buy those myself)
View attachment 17955
My Dragoon suffered rod drop too. Remove the latch. Put a spacer under the spring that makes it utilize the full potential of the spring. Fixed mine.

Whoa. The Dragoons drop their levers too???? Now I have truly lost my innocence.

My Dragoon suffered rod drop too. Remove the latch. Put a spacer under the spring that makes it utilize the full potential of the spring. Fixed mine.
Shows there’s nothing wrong with the original design just poor copying of it. Good fix.

Shows there’s nothing wrong with the original design just poor copying of it. Good fix.
I'm glad his fix worked for him but speaking from a historical standpoint, the Walker's and the Whitneyville Hartford Dragoon loading lever and its tendency to drop when the gun fired was always a problem. (The Walker and Whitneyville Hartford Dragoon were made in 1847.)

That is why starting with the First Model Dragoon which was produced in 1848-1850, the loading lever had some sort of a catch or latch on the end of it. As the Dragoons evolved thru the 2nd and into the 3rd model, the design of the latch changed in an attempt to improve it. The latch on the Colt 1851 Navy loading lever was the final design and was used on all of the Colt Cap & Ball revolvers from then on.

Latest posts

Back