• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wait or clean as is?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok so some of you probably know what happened with my gun yesterday. If not, quick recap, charge wouldn't go off cause I'm pretty sure the powder is water logged, and my ball puller still isn't here though it should arrive within the next week.

So my question is, should I go ahead and clean the gun as best as I can with the ball and powder in there? Or wait until the puller gets here? I hate to leave it uncleaned, I know that's about the worst thing to do, but I don't know how I can clean it and dry it well enough with a charge plugging the breech. When I got home there was already some small patches of rust I guess just from the few hours it took between. They don't seem to be growing though.

Last edited:
Was it fired? If not, I would clean the lock area where the powder flashed. If it had been fired, clean it the best you can, dry it and runs some WD40 down the bore. It helps get rid of excess moisture.
It was fired yeah. Ok yeah I'll do that and hope for the best. As soon as the puller gets here I'll be pulling and thoroughly cleaning it asap.

The sulfur from the powder residue will combine with water vapor and free O2 in the air to get the rust going. Clean it as best you can for now from the ball forward, and dry it as best you can. Putting alcohol down the bore on swabs and then drying will help displace the water as well as helping dislodge the powder residue. You'll have some rust behind the ball where you couldn't clean, but for the most part that part of the bore doesn't engage the ball anyway, so the net effect on further accuracy will be minimal.

How about welding a course threaded screw to the end of a piece of 3/8 steel rod, to make an impromptu ball puller? Run a small bushing over the rod to keep things centered.

Last edited:
That (similar problem) happened to me years ago. I ended up removing the plug after finally getting the prb out and found rust. Fortunately it was only in the breech and all is now well with the barrel.

Back