• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have recently searched on-line for wad for one of my shotguns. What I noticed that was "new to me" were these "Felt Wads". I have previously only used card wads and fiber wads. These "Felt Wads" are advertised as "going directly over the powder and taking the place of the card wad and fiber wad". Really? How does one wad that is presumably somewhat soft take the place of two other wads which are essentially stiff - and sized to fit tightly in the bore? Won't the felt bend and curl if it's over-sized and forced in? The felt wads are quite a bit more expensive than card and fiber wads at about 10 cents each. But if it cuts down on stuff to carry and shove down the bore it might be convenient for a half-days hunt with not-so-many shots fired. What am I missing here?

They are a very stiff felt. I have never used fiber or card wads, so I don't know how they compare

I haven't used them, I use leather wads which are flexable and work well, so I don't see why they should not work.

I use them, usually lubed, in both round ball and shot loads. And have mentioned them many times here, as have others, when smoothbore loads are brought up for discussion.
I usually get mine from Eastern Maine Shooter's Supply.
I do tend to use them in conjunction with thin cards.

Thin cards work well to seal gas from passing through porous filler wads. I use cardboard disks punched from the cardboard separators between layers of Fancy Food cat food cans, with loose sawdust as a filler. Works perfectly.

I use leather wads that are drilled/cut out on a drill press and fiber wads cut out on the same drill press. Simple arch punches for a specific bore size. Fiber wads are lubricated in whatever lube you want. I use bees wax and olive oil on the felt wads. I buy the felt in sheets from DURA FELT and the leather I use is scrap leather 1/8 inch thick I pick up from hobby stores or horse/tack shops around here that make saddles and other things related to riding. Very effective for lubrication, gas sealing and really good patterns.

I use leather wads that are drilled/cut out on a drill press and fiber wads cut out on the same drill press. Simple arch punches for a specific bore size. Fiber wads are lubricated in whatever lube you want. I use bees wax and olive oil on the felt wads. I buy the felt in sheets from DURA FELT and the leather I use is scrap leather 1/8 inch thick I pick up from hobby stores or horse/tack shops around here that make saddles and other things related to riding. Very effective for lubrication, gas sealing and really good patterns.
The leather wads were recommended by George Markland in his 1717 poem "Pteryplegia: The Art of Shooting Flying."

Back