• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wads under patched ball?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all, I have a Harpers Ferry .58 rifled pistol that I have been getting into shooting recently and was wondering whether any one uses lubed wads under the patched ball as a fouling modifier? I currently load powder and then smear grease around the rim of the barrel and load the patched ball. I have no fouling issues at all using this method but was looking to make loading a touch easier. Regards. Carl.
81D6FDB1-61C6-4527-B6BF-3D5E65E33575_1_201_a.jpeg

Your lubed patch should take care of that without need to add extra lube inside the barrel.
A wad under the patched ball is usually used in cases where you are getting burn through on your patches or very inconsistent accuracy. Some lubes contribute to fouling issues and some reduce the build up of fowling. On the advice of one of our area's best shooters, I have switched to using water with a small amount of Dawn dishwashing detergent as a patch lube at the range. Just enough Dawn in the water to make it feel slippery when you rub it between your index finger and thumb. I keep it in a small spray bottle and give the patch a spritz or 2.

Thank you Rafterob. I am having no accuracy issues and the pistol and I are shooting consistently to 25m so I am happy I was just wondering. Your method is intriguing so I shall also give that a go. Currently I lube the patch with olive oil. With your method is there a point where fouling is an issue or are you swabbing between shots?

The last time I used wads under a ball was when I went through a phase where I was target shooting with single shot target pistols . It just seemed "right"

Hello all, I have a Harpers Ferry .58 rifled pistol that I have been getting into shooting recently and was wondering whether any one uses lubed wads under the patched ball as a fouling modifier? I currently load powder and then smear grease around the rim of the barrel and load the patched ball. I have no fouling issues at all using this method but was looking to make loading a touch easier. Regards. Carl.View attachment 169848
Why not pre-lube cut patches and keep them in a tin.

I do that already. The question is about wads under as well.
You did say to make it easier and this is easier /faster , patches pre lubed in a tin do that ! I don't like pre lubed unless used fairly quik ( patch ) going bad but wads work great especially if you've got doubts on patch
integrity (sealing properly ) due to bore condition /Ed

Couple of things going on here. I myself use pre-lubed wads in revolvers. In a single shot pistol, the ball is patched and the patch normally lubed. I thought the wad was to protect the shape of the ball, and the wad didn't have to be lubed. I tried a wad a couple of times, didn't seem to improve accuracy so I stopped using in a single shot pistol. Those who use wads as such- do you use them dry or lubed? That is, single shot barrel, powder, wad, patched round ball.

Couple of things going on here. I myself use pre-lubed wads in revolvers. In a single shot pistol, the ball is patched and the patch normally lubed. I thought the wad was to protect the shape of the ball, and the wad didn't have to be lubed. I tried a wad a couple of times, didn't seem to improve accuracy so I stopped using in a single shot pistol. Those who use wads as such- do you use them dry or lubed? That is, single shot barrel, powder, wad, patched round ball.
Interesting...I have never heard of a wad being used to protect the shape of a ball? I wonder how that idea came about. I also use them in revolvers and I find they greatly reduce fouling, mine are always lubed.

There was an outdoor/gun writer, Siegfried Ross (I think) that claimed on some muzzle loaders - the addition of using a wad increased accuracy, and I think it had to do with protecting the shape of the PRB. As I said, I tried it and the results were the same so I dropped its use.

On guns that stay loaded during hunting season I put a bit of wasp nest under the ball to keep the powder from being compromised by the lube.

I think it generally aids in protecting the patch from burn through which helps with accuracy.

Actually, that is what I was trying to say, I didn't mean the ball got deformed but rather the patch burning through, etc. Thanks.

Back