• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Wadding

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JackP

36 Cal.
Reaction score
This morning my oldest grandson and myself decided to shoot my 20 ga. smooth bore. We loaded everything up, but after driving to our range we had forgotten the patches for the round balls. It crossed my mind that I had seen on youtube on the Ramshackle (something) channel, That back in the day they sometimes used green leaves, grass, grape leaves for wads. Well, all I had was grass. I tore some off, wadded it up, rammed it down on the powder, then the ball then another wad of grass. 3" 3 shot group at 30 yds. That"s over 100 grs. 2FG.

Why was that so mutch fun?😊

An aspect of our sport is getting history right. We want documentation, written sources, paintings and drawings, historic artifacts.
A ‘they must have done so and so’ isn’t considered a good argument.
However I’m thinking they waded historically with whatever they had. I’ve shot with grass and rolled up oak and grape leaves, wads of dog hair, cedar bark( burns, don’t try that one).

Yo JackP! If you’d like to read something that may be interesting, check out my thread “Wacky Shooting “ in the percussion rifle section. I’ve tried lots of different wadding in smoothbores and rifles. Lots of stuff works, some better than others.

Yo JackP! If you’d like to read something that may be interesting, check out my thread “Wacky Shooting “ in the percussion rifle section. I’ve tried lots of different wadding in smoothbores and rifles. Lots of stuff works, some better than others.
Thanks Banjoman, I'll look it up

I made the mistake of loading a shotgun with large leaves that I picked off near the shooting line once. It worked fine, but the juice that was squeezed out of the leaves during the shot really made cleaning the gun difficult. I recommend using dry grass or leaves.

Just be sure that the leaves you use are not the kind of leaves that, IF IT HAS LEAVES OF THREE LEAVE IT BE!! you know what I mean? if not you will find out the next morning.

An aspect of our sport is getting history right. We want documentation, written sources, paintings and drawings, historic artifacts.
A ‘they must have done so and so’ isn’t considered a good argument.
However I’m thinking they waded historically with whatever they had. I’ve shot with grass and rolled up oak and grape leaves, wads of dog hair, cedar bark( burns, don’t try that one).
Documentation would be a great read wouldn't it?
Should be something somewhere.

There were four journals written by members of the Corps of Discovery. None of them got into descriptions of the 15 rifles Lewis brought from Harper's Ferry. We have drawings of prairie dogs, tales of encounters with grizzly bears and various preserved specimens collected, but so many details of the material culture are lacking.

Back