• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wad thickness

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree, I shot the revolver and enjoyed it immensly. I may never be an expert like some of the contributors to my many questions. But that was only part of the reason for this thread, others may stumble across this or other similar threads and actually learn something. And who knows some of this knowledge just might stick in their memory. Feels good to spread alittle knowledge, doesn't it?

Hard to believe a thread has gone so long over shooting a simple cap and ball revolver. Powder and Ball with the right fitting caps, That was the direction's Sam Colt put on his boxes, but what does he know.

After 120 posts the bottom line is what you quoted from Colt .

"The Neats Foot Oil is great on leather".

If you use Neats Foot oil, do not use the kind made from petroleum based oils. You need to use the type sold at Farm and Ranch stores, it is made from "real horse hooves.

"I need to do some teaking and adjusting on the press that I built but again thats part of the hobby!"

If you want a really good press look at the revolver loading stands at www.powderinc.com. They make loading a lot easier and are really a must if you shoot a Ruger Old Army.

I had no intentions of using grease at the end of the chambers.It sounds like its not only messy but also unecessary.But I still have a hundred or so wads to use up. I had planned on using those to lube/ grease the barrel and to keep the fouling soft. That is one of the purposes of grease isn't it?
Keeping the fouling soft is the reason for grease and wads are a convenient way to apply the grease. If I know I’m only firing a few rounds per outing I’ll forgo the grease. If I’m at it for a few cylinders full I use the wads or a card wad and grease under the ball.

Just because its sold in farm and ranch stores dosen't mean the Neats Foot Oil contains no petroleum. Please read the list of ingredients. One of the jugs(Camp Dry) that I bought at Tractor Supply contains petroleum hydrocarbons.The other (Fiebings) lists no petroleum. So guess which one I'm using?

"Please read the list of ingredients."

I do.

I was taught by my Vet who was a BP shooter on which Neats Foot oil to buy, All Neats Foot oil is not created the same, most folks are not aware of the differences and the consequences of using them.

Back