• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Wad thickness...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sooter76

40 Cal.
Reaction score
So I got my fusil-de-Chasse out last week for the first time... The more I get to handle it, the more I love this gun. Anyway, I had meant to try and get a rudimentary idea of what it shot most accurately between different size balls, powder, and wads vs patching, but when I got to the range I realized I'd forgotten to order wads. So I ended up just shooting a few shots with patches just for fun. I got home and after cleaning it went online to TOW to order some wads and realized there are varying thicknesses. Seems like something I should have already known, but I never even took it into consideration... Which brings me to my question. I assume that like with patches different guns shoot best with different thicknesses and it's just part of the trial and error process correct? Or does the material matter more than the thickness?

Thanks in advance.

Please explain to me why does one have to use a 1/8 card wad over powder then a 1/2 wad? I shoot shot in my smooth bore just for fun and at clay birds. I just use the 1/2 fiber wad over the shot then cut the fiber wad in half and use that over the shot. Thanks

Sooter76 said:
So I got my fusil-de-Chasse out last week for the first time... The more I get to handle it, the more I love this gun. Anyway, I had meant to try and get a rudimentary idea of what it shot most accurately between different size balls, powder, and wads vs patching, but when I got to the range I realized I'd forgotten to order wads. So I ended up just shooting a few shots with patches just for fun. I got home and after cleaning it went online to TOW to order some wads and realized there are varying thicknesses. Seems like something I should have already known, but I never even took it into consideration... Which brings me to my question. I assume that like with patches different guns shoot best with different thicknesses and it's just part of the trial and error process correct? Or does the material matter more than the thickness?

Thanks in advance.
All you need is 2 number 1/8 card wads over the powder and 1 number 1/16 card wad over the shot. Felt wads are not needed a waste of money if card wads have difficulty in ramming home a bit of spittle in the bore will do ,I have used this method for 69 years and works OK in all bores .
Feltwad

juice jaws said:
Please explain to me why does one have to use a 1/8 card wad over powder then a 1/2 wad? I shoot shot in my smooth bore just for fun and at clay birds. I just use the 1/2 fiber wad over the shot then cut the fiber wad in half and use that over the shot. Thanks

As with anything in this game, each to his own. I have three different thickness wads. Keeping track of them is harder than knowing who's on first. :hmm: I'm probably going to start using only the 1/8", so-called overshot wads but with double thickness over powder. We'll see wat happens.

I do basically the same thing but only use 1 - 1/8" wad over the powder. Back when I was younger and had a lot of time on my hands I tried various recipes with wad thicknesses and some of them gave me exceptional results with respect to tighter or more open groups as I experimented. But on average, the method I use has served me on the trap and skeet ranges with a number of successful hunting trips thrown in. I've only been using it for 38 years now.

I experimented. But on average, the method I use has served me on the trap and skeet ranges with a number of successful hunting trips thrown in. I've only been using it for 38 years now.

Lets hear back from you after you've had time to properly evaluate the method :blah:

Feltwad
All you need is 2 number 1/8 card wads over the powder
Why two, (1/8) instead of one, or why not use one 1/2" feltwad?
Not doubting your 69 years of good shooting, just trying to understand better. I have a lot to learn about smoothies.
Flintlocklar :idunno:

Thicker wads are less prone to deformation from loading or firing and gas blow-by.

I also recommend buying a wad punch so you can make your own....I've made wads from all kinds of materials...One of my favorites is .20 thick patent leather.

cereal and cracker boxes make good overshot wads...

It's hard not to look at something and wonder what kind of wad it would make....

Larry (Omaha) said:
Feltwad
All you need is 2 number 1/8 card wads over the powder
Why two, (1/8) instead of one, or why not use one 1/2" feltwad?
Not doubting your 69 years of good shooting, just trying to understand better. I have a lot to learn about smoothies.
Flintlocklar :idunno:
Give you a better gas seal any other wadding is not needed .To save money buy a punch and cut your own
Feltwad

juice jaws said:

Why is a place setting fork on the left and knife and spoon on the right? That's the way I was taught.

No one said you had to do anything. For 15 years I used tow wad and tow overshot - because I was using a Bess and that was the way it seemed it was done with them. :idunno:

Skychief puts the wad on top of the shot. Go figure.

Thanks, the card - wad thing is like everything else in this sport, what ever works for you. But speaking of place settings, the burning question I have is what to do with the extra fork you get at restaurants, I take the clean looking one home. Wife has a nice assortment of forks.

Colorado Clyde said:
Thicker wads are less prone to deformation from loading or firing and gas blow-by.

I also recommend buying a wad punch so you can make your own....I've made wads from all kinds of materials...One of my favorites is .20 thick patent leather.

It's hard not to look at something and wonder what kind of wad it would make....

Even though I preach the "do yer own thang" sermon over and over, I don't make my own wads. They are very inexpensive to buy and, IMHO, making them is not worth the effort.
As for deformation with thin wads over powder, I see that as a problem only with choked shotguns. With muskets and fowlers using cylinder bore, not an issue.

Rifleman1776 said:
Even though I preach the "do yer own thang" sermon over and over, I don't make my own wads. They are very inexpensive to buy and, IMHO, making them is not worth the effort.

Fun, is always worth the effort. :wink:

Rifleman1776 said:
Colorado Clyde said:

As for deformation with thin wads over powder, I see that as a problem only with choked shotguns. With muskets and fowlers using cylinder bore, not an issue.
I found that bought wads are mostly for cartridge loading and to stiff that's why I cut my own with a punch . You will also find that the big bore wads are no longer made . Enclosed is a image of different bore punches from a punt gun down to the small bores that I used.
Feltwad

Do a search here on the Forum for the Skychief Special load! There has been a lot of discussion on why or why not it works or shouldn't work. I have found it works in all my cylinder bore smoothies.

It goes: Powder, one over powder wads (1/8) or 2-3 thin overpowder cards, shot and then a oil soaked, sloppy, 1/2 inch fiber wad on top.

My 20 gauge fowler likes 70 gr Goex FFg, 3 thin cards, 100grain equivalent of #6 shot, thin overshot card and sloppy wet 1/2 inch fiber wad.

I know it sounds funky but it produces a nice tight, uniform pattern.

You still have to develop the powder charge and shot charge combination that your gun likes but try it!!

Good luck!!

juice jaws said:
Thanks, the card - wad thing is like everything else in this sport, what ever works for you. But speaking of place settings, the burning question I have is what to do with the extra fork you get at restaurants, I take the clean looking one home. Wife has a nice assortment of forks.

That's for combing the meat scraps and bread crumbs out of your beard before desert, you sauvage.

Back