• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Wad Selection for Pedersoli 12 gauge

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cottonmouth

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Got a question for you experts on loading muzzle loading shotguns!
I am trying to come up with a wad combination in my muzzle loading shotguns that would hopefully be fairly safe from starting a fire in the woods from a smoldering wad!
Instead of using card board wads or certain fiber wads, I was thinking maybe slip some hornets nest over the powder followed by a wool felt wad! Then another wool felt wad over the shot! I would wonder if the overshot felt wad would be strong and stout enough to hold the load in the second barrel of the double barrel once the first barrel is fired? :hmm:
Any suggestions or ideas are appreciated!

Cypress Wolf said:
Got a question for you experts on loading muzzle loading shotguns!
I am trying to come up with a wad combination in my muzzle loading shotguns that would hopefully be fairly safe from starting a fire in the woods from a smoldering wad!
Instead of using card board wads or certain fiber wads, I was thinking maybe slip some hornets nest over the powder followed by a wool felt wad! Then another wool felt wad over the shot! I would wonder if the overshot felt wad would be strong and stout enough to hold the load in the second barrel of the double barrel once the first barrel is fired? :hmm:
Any suggestions or ideas are appreciated!

Man, I don't think I'd shoot anything outdoors in Colorado right now no matter the wad combination. My elk hunting area is currently on fire...

I have shot and inspected thousands of cardboard OP wads and have never seen any indication of them smoldering or catching fire. That being said, I use two OP wads and one OS wad in my Pedersoli's.

stubshaft said:
I have shot and inspected thousands of cardboard OP wads and have never seen any indication of them smoldering or catching fire. That being said, I use two OP wads and one OS wad in my Pedersoli's.
I agree that's all you need I have not seen a card wad smoulder unless it was dipping in some solution, yes to a felt wad .
Feltwad

If you have enough why not use all wasp nest? The main thing is the over powder was has to create a seal and good pressure,then just enough to hold your shot in,and it doesn't burn

Feltwad said:
stubshaft said:
I agree that's all you need I have not seen a card wad smoulder unless it was dipping in some solution, yes to a felt wad .
Feltwad
What was the solution you speak of?

B.

I don't think the cardboard wads would be as much of an issue as all the burning embers from the powder exiting the muzzle :hmm: :idunno: :thumbsup: :v Like Smoky the Bear says -- "Only YOU Can Prevent Forest Fires" :v

stubshaft said:
I concur with this wisdom.

Zug said:
I don't think the cardboard wads would be as much of an issue as all the burning embers from the powder exiting the muzzle :hmm: :idunno: :thumbsup: :v Like Smoky the Bear says -- "Only YOU Can Prevent Forest Fires" :v
Exactly my thoughts as well. I've seen the sparks flying out my muzzle and have ignited the powder on the ground at a range before. Almost the entire state is under some sort of fire restriction and many specifically say no discharging firearms (except for hunting or on specific ranges). I have zero interest in being the guy that burned down half of the state. :2

dsayer said:
Zug said:
Exactly my thoughts as well. I've seen the sparks flying out my muzzle and have ignited the powder on the ground at a range before. Almost the entire state is under some sort of fire restriction and many specifically say no discharging firearms (except for hunting or on specific ranges). I have zero interest in being the guy that burned down half of the state. :2

I agree, where I live just about done shooting in till the rains come.

Thanks for the info !
I would be shooting these shotgun muzzle loaders down on my property in E.Texas and sometimes this area can be really dry!!So that is my main concern
for posting this subject!
" Spudnut" had a good idea about just using the hornet`s nest exclusively! Well I would like to do that but the hornets did not build a real big nest, so I only have a limited supply of the material!
Anyway, good shooting to all of you!! :thumbsup:

spudnut said:
If you have enough why not use all wasp nest? The main thing is the over powder was has to create a seal and good pressure,then just enough to hold your shot in,and it doesn't burn

Spence

Yeah Spence!
That is a great shot dispenser!
And also a great example of hornet`s nest resisting the flames!!
While we are on this subject, would it be advantageous to substitute a OS cork wad instead of the hornet`s nest or felt wad? I would assume that the hornet`s nest or the the cork wad would become
minute pieces of confetti upon discharge of the shotgun! Might also help to keep the pattern stable!
Anyway I will be getting out soon and testing these ideas.

Also concerned about fires in OK, I load 3 1/2" black powder magnums for my 12GA and use gas seals. Use seals OP shotshell gas seals They leave behind plastic streaks, but I can keep on shooting it around half dozen times before cleaning it with a bronze brush and drill motor. Bore wipes shiny clean afterwards.

Back