• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Wad punch?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As far as a hammer for the punch, I use a brass headed hammer.

I use a 3 pound hammer, that way I am using more weight than velocity and force to punch. My Harbor freight punches have served me well, only one have I ruined and that was my fault trying to punch metal.

Has anyone ever figured out what to do with the other 6 or 7 punches in the Harbor Freight set of 9? They got some "calibers" in there that I don't have any use for.

Has anyone ever figured out what to do with the other 6 or 7 punches in the Harbor Freight set of 9? They got some "calibers" in there that I don't have any use for.
If you really, really want to find out what those other punches are good for, throw them away.

It's a proven fact that after you do that, within a month or two you will have a need for them and no other sizes that you hung onto will do.

================================================
The 5/16ths punch should work for wads for a .31 1849 Colt, but I haven't tried it out on mine yet. It's buried waaay back in the gun safe somewhere, which is looking more like Fibber McGee's closet, if you go back that far.

if you were in CHINA where they are made, there is sooo many uses for the other 8 of them.# 9 is a freebee!!

I always find that the best place to acquire a wad punch here in the UK is Car Boot fairs .I have managed to collect punches from the size of a 4 bore down to a 410 most can be used in a pillar drill see image
Feltwad
Wad Punches

I pretty much stopped cutting my own wads and patches. However when I did, i made a setup on an arbor press. It's fast, and beats a hammer by a mile.

Back