• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

W Moore & Co double rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiger955

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Was in my local gun shop today and he has a .45 cal. percussion muzzleloading double rifle. The only markings I saw on it were W Moore & Co, and .45 caliber. It has a large block raised between the barrels at the breech that someone mounted a scope on, and no front sight. I thought at first, due to the style, that it was a small bore shotgun but a quick look in the muzzles it obviously has some pretty deep rifling.
It looks like pretty old gun but I didn't have time to inspect it closely. He has it marked at $500. Anyone have any info on one of these?

There was a William Moore gunsmithing in 1850 in Rochester, New York.
Another (or the same?) William Moore was a general gunsmith at Windsor, Connecticut in 1860.

Howdy tiger955,

Can't tell you much about the gun but wouldn't mind seeing it. No worries about me purchasing, too po'. Is it in CC or in Reno? I'm up just north of Reno.

I’ve seen quite a few Moore & Co. shotguns.
What I have always heard is that they were Belgium guns trying to cash in on the name of well known British makers William Moore and Moore and Harris.
The Belgium guns were actually a little stronger (Not as much class, just stronger.) than the British guns because the barrels were brazed together instead of soldered. Check the underside of the barrels for Belgium proof marks. Also, there is usually evidence of the brazing visible at the muzzle where the ribs and barrels come together.

I am going to try to get back in there one day next week and look it over a little closer, maybe get some pics too. I can't really afford to be buying another gun right now but am curious about this one. Searching on line all I have found so far are the W Moore double shotguns. They are all break action modern type weapons, nothing on muzzleloaders, or rifles. This one is a double barrel side by side muzzleloader, with 2 hammers and triggers.
Wild Willy.. It is at the Nevada Gun Exchange in Carson City. If you would go in and buy it you would sure save me some cash at a weak moment. :v

If this is an original, maybe the topic should be moved to the firearms research forum?

Regards,
Joel

Back