• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

W.B. Selb Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Call him and have a chat with him! He's a nice guy and I'm sure he'll answer any questions you have. I have a rifle on order with him right now.

Boomerang said:
I'm thinking about getting a 40 cal squirrel Hawken made by him. Does anybody know about him and his rifles?

A .40 is a light fun to shoot caliber, good for targets, squirrels, groundhogs, and raccoons, but not deer in Indiana. Their minimum legal caliber is .44, I use a .50. Keep yer powder dry........robin

Last edited by a moderator:
In NH it is good to go in .40 I have killed with that and so has My family.

F&G laws are made by politicians and committees and in case's has nothing to do with reality.

I used a .54 due to my aging eyes for a while it gives a better 10 inch kill zone from most angles that I never took with the .40

But Now use my 20 gauge club butt for deer. Front sight only up close and personal.

Jim Bridger's rifle was .403, with a 32" barrel. Google it, a later rifle given him in 1853. Very handy.

I've got a .40 that is a fine rifle. I don't hunt deer, but wouldn't hesitate to use it if I did.

I gave him a call. He's a real nice guy. I guess I'll have to wait a little while for it. He's back logged about 18 months. Oh well, I think it will be worth the wait!
I will mostly be using it for squirrels and targets. I have a 54 cal GPR for deer.

That's the same time frame he gave me. I placed my order in April. Quality takes time. I agree, it'll be defiantly be worth it :thumbsup:

I took delivery of two rifles from Mr Selb this summer. A .54 cal taper barrel and a .40 cal squirrel rifle. When I put down my deposits he quoted 12 to 18 month build time. It actually took 34 months for the first and 38 months for the second. Never really got an explanation for the delays. That was my experience, hopefully yours will be better.

Don Stith who specializes in the various Hawken model parts sets offers a Hawken squirrel rifle. Built his S. Hawken and it was a quality parts set. He was also very helpful by sending a pic of an original of a certain area that was difficult to visualize......Fred

I just placed a deposit for a fullstock flintlock from him. When we spoke on the phone, he did quote 18 months. He said he’s sticking to fairly standard Hawkins and not doing special requests.

I think he caterd to a few out of the ordinary builds and it backed everything up.

I’m hoping it’s 18 months and not 34!

I think that I saw something on Selb's web sight where he uses Don Stith's kits to build his rifles.

Actually what he says is, it is taken from Don Stith's pattern. So I'm not sure what he means, by that. He might have just made a copy of Don's kit.

Selb's rifles appear to be first class work.

I bought a Don Stith kit and had Don send it to John Bergmann in Tenn. John does excellent work IMHO and I didnt wait that long. Selb does a great job also but Im betting his price is alot higher than John. Al

I don't have a hosting site for pictures but I can take some tonight and send them to your email would that work? If so send me your email AD via a pm and I will get some to you. Al

Boomerang, did you ever get that 40 cal squirrel rifle from Selb?
If so, how are you liking it?

Back