• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

'voo "pie" recipes (jug kind)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soquili

40 Cal.
Reaction score
OK, let's have some Rendezvous "pie" recipes! I'm talking about the kind in a jug, not the kind with a crust! ::

While I've sipped many a variety of this delectable beverage, I have never made any of my own, and I figger it's time I stopped camp-doggin' and returned the favor.

What recipe is y'all's favorite?

Send samples to:..... :: hic! :: :hatsoff:
Patsy

Soquili,
Here is a thread that happened a few months ago..

http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/ubbthr...mp;page=3#79664

Might give you a place to start:> DH and I made our first pie a few months ago... they are pretty good right now.. the recipes we used are from this thread... he used the one that call for redhots... I used one that you cooked with cinnamon sticks... hope this helps. :)

Soquili,

Might give you a place to start:> DH and I made our first pie a few months ago... they are pretty good right now.. the recipes we used are from this thread... he used the one that call for redhots... I used one that you cooked with cinnamon sticks... hope this helps. :)

Yep, that's just what I was looking for, Cookie! I love the names too - "Figgy Fall-down", "Stump-blower", etc... Anybody got a new recipe to add to that collection??

I used to have one for home-made kahlua, gotta see if I can dig that one out. And I put a tablespoon of brown sugar in my hot buttered rum, in addition to the butter and warmed cider, rum, and cinnamon stick.

Some folks around here make a cherry pie drink that uses a can of cherry pie filling, vodka, etc. Still looking for that recipe too.

I make a drink at home called a "Snow-shoe" - more correctly a "SHno-shoe", because after a couple of them, that's the way you will be pronouncing it!! :: Take a pint of Yukon Jack whisky liquour and a pint of peppermint schnapps and put them in the freezer (they won't freeze). put 1/2 shot of each in one shot glass, and toss 'er down, tastes just like one of those chocolate thin mint Girl Scout cookies to me! :: :: I reckon because the Yukon Jack is kind of sweet, but there's no chocolate in it.

I reckon you could make those at a 'voo by keeping the separate jugs in an ice bucket?? BUT, do not try drinking more than 3 of these if you are very far from your tent! Crawling home across cactus and thorny mesquite sprouts ain't easy... :: particularly if you have on a long skirt... :: All the more reason to either pace one's self on consumption, or have the party at YOUR camp!
:: ::
Patsy

Here's one you might try, everyone around here calls it just pure evil. 1 bottle of Jeremiah Weed (bourbon liqueur, 100 proof, similar to Yukon Jack), then to temper it down a little and make it go down easier I add a bottle of Ever Clear. Goes down real easy, JUST DON'T BREATH, and keep it a long way away from the fire. Give it a try, things get interesting real quick.
:crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

Soquili,

The link died to that thread, does anyone still have the information contained therin?

Heck ya... just mosey on down to the recipe part of the forum and look for "pie the sippin kind" youll find all of them there... :)

Hi i am new at this so bare with me.

Cherry Bounce

To one gallon of wild cherries add enough good whiskey to cover the fruit. Let soak two or three weeks and then drain off the liquor. Mash cherries without breaking the stones and strain through a jelly-bag; add this liquor to that already drained off. Make a syrup with a gill of water and a pound of white sugar to every two quarts of liquor thus prepared; stir in well and bottle, and tightly cork. A common way of making cherry bounce is to put wild cherries and whiskey together in a jug and use liquor as wanted.

This recipe comes from a cookbook called the White House Cookbook the only date I can find is 1888 I hope this helps. I am not sure of the actual date it was published probably 1890 to 1900

a gill is equal to a half of a tea cup.

Thanks so much Kris's (Aunt D'Ann)

Aunt D'Ann,
This sounds as if would be real sweet,
just wondering if it is?
snake-eyes :hmm:

Hi Snake eyes,

I know it sounds really sweet but that's the way it's written in the recipe. i wonder if you cut back on the sugar? I think it's more like a cordial than pie? This cookbook has lots of different beverages in it that sound really interesting. I wonder if the strength of sugar has changed in the last 100 years? These recipies were served to the presidents in the white house, so they must be good? Have you ever heard of Loaf Sugar? I have been trying to figure this one out. Maybe it's like sugar cane? Here's a recipie for Blackberry Cordial.

Blackberry Cordial

Warm and squeeze the berries; add to one pint of juice one pound of white sugar, one-half ounce of powdered cinnamon, one fourth-ounce of mace, two teaspoonfuls of cloves. Boil all together for one-fourth of an hour; strain the syrup, and to each pint add a glass of French Brandy. Two or three doses of a tablespoonful or less will check any slight diarrhea. When the attack is violent, give a tablespoonful after each discharge until the complaint is in subjection. It will arrest dysentery if given in season, and is a pleasent and safe remedy. Excellent for children when teething.

This is also From the White House Cookbook.

This book has alot of old recipe's and cleaning and health suggestions.

sorry this is so long I got a little long winded.

Aunt D

I found a lot of the old recipies had a LOT more sugar than would be used today.

Some of those liquers would leave suger crystals in the glass!

According to google loaf sugar is a large conical
loaf of concentrated refined sugar. Thanks for
the information.
snake-eyes :hmm:

Back