• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Visit to the Museum of the Fur Trade in Chadron, Nebreaska

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I took the advice of some good people on this forum and drove across the High Plains, north to the Western-most tip of Nebraska. The trip from Golden, Colorado goes across the High Plains, and our route took us through the Pawnee National Grasslands. It is mostly broad open spaces with trees only along the stream courses.
The ranches and skies are big out here. Traffic is gloriously sparse. Service people at diners and even fast food restaurants are friendly and courteous (I am sure there are exceptions) and patrons seem to know each other as well as the service staff.
The Museum is more extensive than I had imagined. They have what likely is the largest and most complete collection of firearms made for the Indians. There are 4 rows of these firearms with some dating from the mid-1600s, with more on the wall displays. There are rifles for regular warriors and for Chiefs. There are those rifles made in Great Britain and supplied to their Indian allies, rifles from America to draw Indian allies of the British to the American side. Similarly, there are French and Russian rifles made for the Indians.
Of course, there are Northwest, Hawken (Samuel and Jacob and other Hawken family members) made rifles, buffalo guns and a few Pennsylvania (Kentucky) rifles.
There are other rooms with fur trader gear, including mountain and Hawken style rifles; voyageurs and their canoes and gear.
In the Indian gun room there was not enough space to get decent photos through the glass or plexiglass, so I don't have many. I will put up some more once I settle back in at home.
Ron
10-17-22Museum of the Fur Trade Indian Trade and Mountain Man rifles (24)mdsm2.JPG

Ron, I never tire of looking at guns especially old ones. That's why I got the "vapors" at Williamsburg. :doh:
I don't travel well and it is unfortunately too far from New England.

Here are a few more photos. The quarters are tight in the main gun room so I couldn't get back far enough to capture the rifles for their full length, so I did it piecemeal from butt stock to barrel.
A Dimick and a Beavais rifle, both given to Indians:
10-17-22 Dimick and Beavais Museum of the Fur Trade Indian Trade and Mountain Man rifles (2)sm.JPG

10-17-22 Dimick and Beavais Museum of the Fur Trade Indian Trade and Mountain Man rifles (3)sm.JPG

10-17-22 Dimick and Beavais Museum of the Fur Trade Indian Trade and Mountain Man rifles (4)sm.JPG

10-17-22 Dimick and Beavais Museum of the Fur Trade Indian Trade and Mountain Man rifles (5)sm.JPG

10-17-22 Samuel and Jacob and Christian Hawken Museum of the Fur Trade Indian Trade and Mounta...JPG

Latest posts

Back