Virgil W Hartley Rifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

Reaction score
My neighbor has two .50 cal caplock rifles he is looking to sell the are made by Virgil W Hartley of Indianapolis IN. 1980 and 1982. Does anyone have any idea what they may be worth??

9C3EC190-8D09-4396-97C6-708742EE4AE0.jpeg
C67E4E3A-773C-43AE-9195-528BA45930E5.jpeg

Reaction score
They are longer and heavier than a T/C Hawken rifle. The barrels have G R stamped on them. Other than that I don’t have any other particulars about them. They shoulder and point very nice though!

Reaction score
Well, look at as if you were going to put the rifles up for auction. We need to see how the lock mates up to the stock and how the breech is tied in. We need to see if it is a “drum” gun or a “snail” gun. The breech, is it some type of patent breech etc. take pics of the muzzle/crown. Drop a bore light down the tube sow we can see the bore. If you don’t have a bore light something shiny that will reflect light and shine all get down the bore. A pic of the triggers and how they are mounted. Stuff like that. I’m not a Hawken guy, but I know what those fellas want to see. I’m sure someone here with the aforementioned pics will get you reasonably close to what they are worth.

Respectfully,

RM

Reaction score
Well, look at as if you were going to put the rifles up for auction. We need to see how the lock mates up to the stock and how the breech is tied in. We need to see if it is a “drum” gun or a “snail” gun. The breech, is it some type of patent breech etc. take pics of the muzzle/crown. Drop a bore light down the tube sow we can see the bore. If you don’t have a bore light something shiny that will reflect light and shine all get down the bore. A pic of the triggers and how they are mounted. Stuff like that. I’m not a Hawken guy, but I know what those fellas want to see. I’m sure someone here with the aforementioned pics will get you reasonably close to what they are worth.

Respectfully,

RM
Perfect. I will
Get all those pictures tomorrow. Thank you very much!

Reaction score
I think those are Sharon Hawken kits from the mid-1970's. That is first impression from the pictures.
I won one of those kits back then at a state shoot and that was the top prize.
I was impressed with the quality of the components and the pre-carved stock. I was used to using wood blanks to make pistols and rifles and this was my first "kit" build. It was easy to sand down and fit the components, I was impressed.
I did not keep it long as it was a 58 cal. and I preferred using smaller caliber for shooting in competition.
I wonder where it is now!
Barry

Latest posts