• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

FOR SALE Vintage Tower Lock for Sale

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,

I bought this lot at auction in England some time back. It is marked Tower and it has the Crown marking for George 3rd. I do not know of the year manufactured; but, I think it is an older reproduction lock, probably a Japanese Miroku from the 70'sas the screws differ somewhat from my original 1810 Brown Bess. That being said, the lock had been cleaned in the past and functions as it should. It is a large lock at nearly 7" long, with the banana shape the early flintlocks had. It would make a good replacement for a Bess, or other flintlock from the 1700's and early 1800's. Wanting $200.

Attachments

• Tower Lock 1.jpg
    Tower Lock 1.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 192
  • Tower Lock 3.jpg
    Tower Lock 3.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:
Doesn’t look like a Miroku lock, the bridal on the Miroku lock was very much more authentic as was the fintcock.

I think this is a Belgium made lock.

The lockplate on the Miroku Bess locks had a more defined teat at the end of the plate tail and were more straight on the bottom, very much like a 1755 Brown Bess Pattern Lock.

Last edited:
Doesn’t look like a Miroku lock, the bridal on the Miroku lock was very much more authentic as was the fintcock.

The lockplate on the Miroku Bess locks had a more defined teat at the end of the plate tail and were more straight on the bottom, very much like a 1755 Brown Bess Pattern Lock.

Last edited:

I have an original late model Bess I bought at a Tower of London auction. I will pull the lock and put them side by side to compare the cock and bridle differences. I will post a pic.

Here is a sided by side with my late model Bess lock. Mine comes from a much later period - the lock I have for sale is a lot more like the India Pattern lock in the last picture. The differences are slight, the bridle is pretty close; but the cock is a bit different, too. Honestly its pretty close for a reproduction. And, it functions correctly. I should also add that the last picture, even though the lock is early, the cock was replaced as the swan neck cocks often broke with heavy battle use. The original cock would be swan shaped, like the one I am selling.

Attachments

• 2locks1.jpg
    2locks1.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 79
  • Original.jpg
    Original.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 90
  • ower Lock 2.jpg
    ower Lock 2.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 82
  • rsbess_092407a.jpg
    rsbess_092407a.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
The Belgium made Bess locks were used on what was called a colonial trade gun by Centennial Arms in the 1970’s. Brown Bess Trade Gun locks were much like third model locks with simplified features.

I think your price is fine, if it were a Miroku lock, they sell upward near $300, they’re the most authentic M1755 style lock other than a Rifle Shoppe copy.

The Belgium made Bess locks were used on what was called a colonial trade gun by Centennial Arms in the 1970’s. Brown Bess Trade Gun locks were much like third model locks with simplified features.

I think your price is fine, if it were a Miroku lock, they sell upward near $300, they’re the most authentic M1755 style lock other than a Rifle Shoppe copy.
Thank you for the input. I really appreciate it!

Latest posts

Back