• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

vintage? T/C powder measure

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom in nc

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I bought this powder measure today at my favorite gun shop.
20200716_153552.jpg

I believe it is an early model of the current T/C available later, maybe not currently.
1594933413734.png

I don't know the good, bad, and the ugly of it. Anybody else use one? Do you like it or not? School me about it please. Thanks.

It looks like you got a good solid measure. My old TC measure from the early 70’s doesn‘t look anything like that. I think I like yours better. :cool: :thumb:

I have one just like yours. I think you will find that the base of the measure comes off so you can store a few caps for emergency's.

Tom, I have use this powder measure for many years. The only problem is that after a while you will have to clean the funnel slide as it gets a bit dirty and will stick. Other than that, no problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been using one for years too. Mainly to work up a good load for whatever gun I'm setting up and then make a fixed measure based on my findings with the T/C. I like it, damn good!
Robby

That's *exactly* the intended use of the lower cavity.
Do you suppose that is the intended use of the lower cavity?
This post jogged my memory, and I yanked this little fella out of a box of odds and ends, still sealed in his original package. My house, like my brain, is full of weird random things I've collected along the way...
Jay

Attachments

• IMG_8073.JPG
    IMG_8073.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_8074.JPG
    IMG_8074.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 96
The "vintage" tc measure was a brass tubular measure with another tube inside that had spring detents as the inner tube was drawn out of the bottom with 10 grain increments starting at 50 grains and up to 120 if memory serves. I have one somewhere in my plunder. Can take a picture if it can be found

I have several of the simple click tubes on the left. I've had one of the old style measures with the bottom thingy and slide cut-off. I, too, have no idea what the bottom cavity is about. Caps, maybe??

I got this exact measure when I bought a Thompson Center Renegade in 1982. Still have both and have always stored caps in the measure as reserves. I had one son get his first deer with the Renegade years later. Still my go to measure when developing loads in a new muzzleloader. Then make a specific measure once a load is developed for a particular firearm. I'd say it is a quality unit with infinite adjustment.

That's *exactly* the intended use of the lower cavity.

This post jogged my memory, and I yanked this little fella out of a box of odds and ends, still sealed in his original package. My house, like my brain, is full of weird random things I've collected along the way...
Jay

I've never seen one half as well-made as that, and I have a few...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back