• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Vintage firearms

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Henry, who may I ask? I'm pretty sure Benjamin Tyler Henry didn't make muzzleloaders but if he had most people here on the forum couldn't afford one that's how rare it would be.
The gun you have pictured appears to be a nicely put-together Hawken-style rifle. It's got nice wood and the fit and finish aren't too bad. The pictures you've posted are difficult to get a close-up of so it's a little hard to tell much about the furniture.
If the rifle is a modern built reproduction It would be worth maybe about 700.00+, if in fact it was built by Benjamin Tyler Henry the price would be more than I could calculate.

Henry, who may I ask? I'm pretty sure Benjamin Tyler Henry didn't make muzzleloaders but if he had most people here on the forum couldn't afford one that's how rare it would be.
The gun you have pictured appears to be a nicely put-together Hawken-style rifle. It's got nice wood and the fit and finish aren't too bad. The pictures you've posted are difficult to get a close-up of so it's a little hard to tell much about the furniture.
If the rifle is a modern built reproduction It would be worth maybe about 700.00+, if in fact it was built by Benjamin Tyler Henry the price would be more than I could calculate.
From the reasurch I've done checked cross checked its a original 58 cal. Henry it's a early version I've checked the lock and the name it all checks out. I did the research on the different name variations and it checked out as well he did sign some pieces with just Henry. He made a variation of this rifle in steel this one has a metal nose cap and toe guard that's one of the rarist ones he made. As for selling it I don't think I'll get the value out of it. But as a reproduction I can say with confidence it's not it's a original early Henry plains rifle (Buffalo Rifle)

From the reasurch I've done checked cross checked its a original 58 cal. Henry it's a early version I've checked the lock and the name it all checks out. I did the research on the different name variations and it checked out as well he did sign some pieces with just Henry. He made a variation of this rifle in steel this one has a metal nose cap and toe guard that's one of the rarist ones he made. As for selling it I don't think I'll get the value out of it. But as a reproduction I can say with confidence it's not it's a original early Henry plains rifle (Buffalo Rifle)
You might get an expert that deals with antique muzzy's. Rock Island Auctions has a few that know the ropes. If in fact that is a Henry....it needs to be verified and certified....you could have a museum piece there.

You might get an expert that deals with antique muzzy's. Rock Island Auctions has a few that know the ropes. If in fact that is a Henry....it needs to be verified and certified....you could have a museum piece there.
I would love to do that I found some interesting information on that rifle

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230131-160812_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230131-160812_Chrome.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20230131-160835_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230131-160835_Chrome.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20230131-160846_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230131-160846_Chrome.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20230131-160857_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230131-160857_Chrome.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 0
I would love to do that I found some interesting information on that rifle
You have a typical 1/2 stock J. Henry Rifle . Most were built for the trade, look behind the trigger guard and see if there is a US stamped into the wood. If there is it was built by Henry for a government contract to supply the Indians . But if the bore was that original large caliber, I doubt it was built for a govt. contract. The govt. didn’t want to supply the natives with large caliber weapons. This Henry had nothing to do with the Winchester company. It appears as though your Rifle has the wood refinished, that hurts it collectors value some. That being said it’s still a good representative piece for trade gun collectors.

You have a typical 1/2 stock J. Henry Rifle . Most were built for the trade, look behind the trigger guard and see if there is a US stamped into the wood. If there is it was built by Henry for a government contract to supply the Indians . But if the bore was that original large caliber, I doubt it was built for a govt. contract. The govt. didn’t want to supply the natives with large caliber weapons. This Henry had nothing to do with the Winchester company. It appears as though your Rifle has the wood refinished, that hurts it collectors value some. That being said it’s still a good representative piece for trade gun collectors.
The wood was like that when I got it just dirty. I cleaned it up with a soft soap then put a mix of lemon oil and bees wax on it I try not to mess with it much I don't want to ruin it

The wood was like that when I got it just dirty. I cleaned it up with a soft soap then put a mix of lemon oil and bees wax on it I try not to mess with it much I don't want to ruin it
Looks like you have a keeper. Google the value. Don't know what you paid. If it is a true to life Henry, you'll be surprised at the value.

Does it have the US stamp behind the trigger guard ?

well all i can say is nice rifle! and add that i would trade you a case of chicken eggs for it!:D
Ya know, pretty soon, that might be the short end of the deal....for you....darned good thing we raise chickens. Ducks, turkeys coming soon. I might even get a few Emu ( they're a dime a dozen these days and lots of meat on them).😊

Last edited:
Sorry I didn't realize I made a post. I'm new to the site but to answer your question. I was thinking of parting with my Henry 58 cal. Buffalo rifle. It was made bye Henry it's in great condition and it can be fired. I just don't know the value the last one I saw go up for auction was in bad condition broken stock and alot of ru

Back