• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

vintage american large bore fowler

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Morb,

It doesn't detract from it, but the barrel has been shortened. Done well, but if original there would be two ramrod pipes, one closer to the muzzle than at present.

Best,
R.

when i spoke to him about the barrel being short he said he has seen them short before. i really can't say one way or the other since i haven't seen that many in person, since the barrel length has been brought up i got a little spooked about it and was thinking about backing out but if it throws a decent pattern and is accurate then i'll be happy.
i guess guys have been modifying their guns since the beginning for what ever reason, some worked out ok and others not so much. i have a shotgun that i had shortened to use as a back up for bear hunting in archery season, it has been a great gun. it fires rifled slugs accurately plus i use it with bird shot in the big bush for spruce grouse so for me this shotgun has been more useful to me than my other shotguns.
hopefully this mod on the fowler is a good modification

Morb,

Most muzzle -loading can be made to throw decent patterns, and the barrel is still long enough to do that!
Some of large bore Were made short or shorter, so no worries that this one Stated out longer. It's not like the choke got chopped off.
I'm sure you will enjoy its company!

What you Will find Morb, is that it will likely throw a 12 bore load more evenly than a 12.
This is very often the case. Larger bore,.. lower pressure,.. better pattern.
Don't be afraid to try light loads. They often shine with them!

Has Richard said go for a light load for me it would be a 10 bore load of 3 drms of FFg to 1.1/2 oz of shot , if you use a the chart load for that gun you will find that with a short barrel most of the powder will burn when it left the muzzle like a fire shower.
Good luck remember you creep before you walk {Old UK saying}
Feltwad

Hey, I have an original long rifle that was bobbed like over 100 years ago. It's just as much a part of the gun's history as anything else. If I had the bucks to buy that cannon, having been bobbed back in the day sure wouldn't stop me. Or even slow me down. Or make me think twice. !!!

Hey, I have an original long rifle that was bobbed like over 100 years ago. It's just as much a part of the gun's history as anything else. If I had the bucks to buy that cannon, having been bobbed back in the day sure wouldn't stop me. Or even slow me down. Or make me think twice. !!!

your right, it has history and character, it's different like me lol

thanks for the load info feltwad i will jot that down and try it out, i'll have to pick up some 2f as i only have 3f for my .45.
i was looking online for a mold or balls to fit this gun but can't find anything that size, would double patching be ok to do with a smaller ball?

What you Will find Morb, is that it will likely throw a 12 bore load more evenly than a 12.
This is very often the case. Larger bore,.. lower pressure,.. better pattern.
Don't be afraid to try light loads. They often shine with them!

i intend to keep the loads on the light side just to be safe, glad to hear that they like the light ones.

With that large bore, I would be looking for 1fg powder. The larger grains would soften the firing impulse and be gentle to the shotgun while not adversely affecting performance. Naturally, 1fg powder may be hard to find, so the 2fg powder will work.

Personally I would not load this gun with a ball which I find would be too much, this is a sporting gun and would have been built for shot only , to load a ball which would weigh two plus oz is too much .
Feltwad
thanks for the load info feltwad i will jot that down and try it out, i'll have to pick up some 2f as i only have 3f for my .45.
i was looking online for a mold or balls to fit this gun but can't find anything that size, would double patching be ok to do with a smaller ball?

Never heard of any shotgun or smoothbore, that was safe to fire with shot, that would be at risk shooting a ball. ??? That does not make sense. "Built for shot only" does not make sense. No offense intended, no disrespect, not being argumentative, just seriously disagree. One could certainly shoot more than two ounces of shot out of it, if one wanted to. If the gun is not safe to shoot with ball, for any reason, it is not safe to shoot. I do think that the gun would be more suited for 1fg powder, just to be gentle on the gun...should not be that hard to find. ?? I can find it in stores, around here.

Has I said the gun in question is a sporting gun it was not built to fire ball ,to fire ball the gun would have been a lot heavier more bulky at the wrist to absorb the recoil it was this type of heavy smoothbore gun that the big game hunters used in Africa and India before rifled guns . I only gave my safety opinion has to what he should fire has there is a big different in a sporting gun and one for shooting ball of that calibre , but it is up to the owner it is his gun to do his own thing
Feltwad
Never heard of any shotgun or smoothbore, that was safe to fire with shot, that would be at risk shooting a ball. ??? That does not make sense. "Built for shot only" does not make sense. No offense intended, no disrespect, not being argumentative, just seriously disagree. One could certainly shoot more than two ounces of shot out of it, if one wanted to. If the gun is not safe to shoot with ball, for any reason, it is not safe to shoot. I do think that the gun would be more suited for 1fg powder, just to be gentle on the gun...should not be that hard to find. ?? I can find it in stores, around here.

thanks everyone for your advise and comments, i am taking it all into consideration. right now while i'm waiting to get in my greasy hands i'm trying to find some good loads to start off with which i already got, thanks feltwad.
i'll not be shooting ball out of it anytime soon mainly because i can't find anything that size which is why i asked about multiple patches on a smaller ball, the gun i'm shooting now is a t/c hawken in .45 and cast my own. those little balls will get lost in there in that big bore.
as far as pussy footing around, the older i get the more of a pussy i become lol
i'm not sure if i'm going to be able to 1f around here. cabela's in regina only has 2f and 3f but there are a few other gun shops around that might have, i'll have to go on a road trip to find some

One minute folks are saying it once had a long barrel to get the velocity up of a heavy load and it'll now struggle and then some are recommending slowing it down even more with the slowest powder available.
Personally I would just tip some 3f in there. As one gent said, it's either safe to shoot or not. There is no middle ground!

Back