Vinegaroon

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Red Owl

36 Cl.
Reaction score
This reacted with tanned leather and turns it black. I haven't have a lot of luck with dyes because I never found any that won't bleed in a rain, etc. and then your clothes get a big brown spot. What about walonut hulls? I tried pecan hulls but the dye was black, not brown.

Loyalist Dave

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Are you dying leather? Use Fiebings alcohol based leather dye.
Yes you use the alcohol based dye, then you use a piece of scrap wool blanket and some saddle soap, and wash the leather after the dye has dried, then repeat the process if you want to try to get a darker shade and let that dry. When dry you apply some sort of leather "dressing" like mink oil.

LD

Zonie

Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
The only Vinegaroon I've ever seen looks like this.

1620602761413.png

I don't think they would do much for dying cloth or leather so I suspect the vinegaroon we're talking about must be some sort of vinegar solution?

kje54

54 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
This reacted with tanned leather and turns it black. I haven't have a lot of luck with dyes because I never found any that won't bleed in a rain, etc. and then your clothes get a big brown spot. What about walonut hulls? I tried pecan hulls but the dye was black, not brown.
That's because you're probably not using a mordant like salt in the dying process, pickling salt is best. Vinegar is the mordant of choice for wool.

kje54

54 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
The only Vinegaroon I've ever seen looks like this.

View attachment 76494

I don't think they would do much for dying cloth or leather so I suspect the vinegaroon we're talking about must be some sort of vinegar solution?
It's a home made vinegar - iron black leather "dye".

Red Owl

36 Cl.
Reaction score
you take steel/iron. Steel wool works okay. Boil it to remove any oils. Put the steel wool in the bottom of a glass jar and fill OVER the steel with vinegar. Wait about 12 hours or overnight. You do NOT want the steel to rust so keep it below the vinegar. Drain off the treated vinegar- it ought to still be clear. Take a scrap of tanned leather as a test and dab on the vinegar. It will turn the leather black. If you soak this leather in water and rub against a white cloth- the "black" doesn't rub off on the cloth, the color doesn't bleed. I'd prefer a brown color and I've heard folks use walnut hulls (I assume the green things- not the hard part. But I don't know if that dye is "Fast"- doesn't bleed. I've boiled white color in super strong tea- you get a fawn tan which holds pretty good.

mushka

36 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm like Zonie, the only vinegaroon I ever saw was on my patio about 25 years ago. haven't seen one since.

Red Owl

36 Cl.
Reaction score
This is what I'm talking about

Red Owl

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I've soaked it in water and it won't bleed out. As I said, I'd prefer a brown color.

smo

70 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Give tea or coffee a try for brown colors...

mushka

36 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not Zonie but I don't think that they have a stinger, just the claws.

brazosland

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Vins hate centipedes. They will fight to the death in the Mason Jar ring.

As a young boy growing up in a south Texas we learned the old cowboy toast...”Here’s to the vinegaroon that jumped on the centipedes back! He said, with a Grin and a Glee, you poisonous Son of a B!+<#...if I don’t get you...you will get me!”

If you have ever sat a saddlebronk...you know exactly what it means!

Latest posts