• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Video-Black powder cannon project

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When some fool posts a thread about how his super modern muzzle loader shoots best with 400 grains of Whupbutt powder and a Tighty whitey plastic lucite tipped elephant skinner bullet. I call him on it. It is unsafe and will lead some newbie to do likewise because "Joe" did it. And whatever you read on the internet must be true. And then we see pictures of splintered gun barrels and mangled appendages.

Lincoln narrowly escaped being injured or killed when a heavy duty cannon made for the US troops blew to pieces. A cannon made by people who knew what they were doing blew up during a demonstration for big whigs.

Sorry but grabbing a piece of pipe of unknown quality, alloy, and history out of a junk pile and fashioning a plug for it, doesn't qualify as a cannon. It could be monel for all we know. Heck, my T=post driver is made with heavy wall pipe and a thick hardened steel plug welded in, guess it is a cannon. NOT!

Ahhhh now you are worried about the newbie....except anytime anybody asks you people questions they get smartass answers. I will not be back here. go play dress up.

Squire Robin said:
When a group gangs up on one of it's own members it is something altogether different.

The American clinician Eric Berne could spot a game when he saw one and the game you are playing is called "Let's get Joey". It is not nice, I suggest you stop it.
How would Eric Berne feel if nobody said anything and they let "Joey" die?

It's not "ganging up" anymore than several people recommending the same lube."

When someone is warned, and they defend their actions, it's natural for others to add additional warnings. No one has anything to gain by warning another member, except to try and prevent them from hurting themselves or others.

People who think what they see in the video is a "good idea" are welcome to contribute as well. So far, they haven't.

You felt it prudent to remove yourself a reasonable distance from the device after you lit the fuse. That indicates that you did not have sufficient confidence in it's construction to stand closer. The rule of thumb is that if you think you have to run away from it prior to discharge, then it's probably prudent to re-visit the construction methods and materials rather than the length of the fuse.

The physics involved in large bore devices are many fold different (and catastrophic failue is REALLY a catastrophe) than those involved in small arms. Get a hold of the old book "The Complete Cannoneer" to help satisfy yourself of any safety concerns.

Well I am sure that you feel confidant in your handiwork.

The rest of us are not.

Instead of getting mad that we are not on board with your device, ask questions, read manuals and do it to spec next time.
No one here is saying stuff to just bust your balls.
They do not want to read about another casualty in the news.

Claude said:

I am sure that if Eric Berne were still alive he would not suggest arguing with the list owner.
Whatever you say is fine by me :hatsoff:

Squire Robin said:
Claude said:

I am sure that if Eric Berne were still alive he would not suggest arguing with the list owner.
Whatever you say is fine by me :hatsoff:
Nobody has ever gotten in trouble for disagreeing with me or the Moderators. We're not that petty. :wink:

Claude said:
Nobody has ever gotten in trouble for disagreeing with me or the Moderators. We're not that petty. :wink:

Well, okay then, if you are sure, here we go... :thumbsup:

Doesn't matter which list you go on, the moment you mention playing with a home made cannon the reply is a howl of, "Won't somebody think of the children?".

This is followed by an explanation of how idiots like you with cannons invariably blow their own heads off, and probably kill every living thing for miles around. The shrapnel naturally targets the innocent.

At first you are a bit surprised at being called an idiot, we all want to fit in so you try to agree.

Then, you discover that there is no possibility of agreeing. You are surrounded by an ever increasing crowd of placard waving protestors who are not interested in a single thing you might have to say.

This thread is a perfect example.

Squire Robin said:
Claude said:

Well, okay then, if you are sure, here we go... :thumbsup:

Doesn't matter which list you go on, the moment you mention playing with a home made cannon the reply is a howl of, "Won't somebody think of the children?".

This is followed by an explanation of how idiots like you with cannons invariably blow their own heads off, and probably kill every living thing for miles around. The shrapnel naturally targets the innocent.

At first you are a bit surprised at being called an idiot, we all want to fit in so you try to agree.

Then, you discover that there is no possibility of agreeing. You are surrounded by an ever increasing crowd of placard waving protestors who are not interested in a single thing you might have to say.

This thread is a perfect example.
I must say, you are a master of generalization. :wink:

Nobody likes to be criticized, but people have to accept the fact that not everything they post to a public forum will be agreed with.

When the majority praises a post, that is, "gangs up" in a positive way, nobody complains.

I guess the question is, should members voice their dissenting opinion when they see something they disagree with or that they feel is dangerous?

Squire Robin, you were the first to bring up the term "Idiot." intimating that we were acting like old women. I merely chimed in that better we should do it than a WIDOW. and explained that we were merely trying to prevent a fellow from repeating the unfortunate mistakes of so many who didn't survive as long as we have.

Personally, I am sorry if you were offended by my post. My occupation has left me with a very thick skin and a sometimes abrasive manner in addressing others. But I am DEAD SERIOUS about not using pipe.

Years ago, a buddy made a muzzleloader shotgun with a piece of heavy wall high pressure steam pipe. It failed and left a bystander with a piece of shredded metal sticking out of the cheek. My buddy only had some powder burns.

We all take calculated risks everyday. From getting out of bed, to crossing the street. It is part of life. In the opinion of most of us, the risk of that construction is far too great.

There are simpler and much safer ways to accomplish the same goal.

Claude said:
I guess the question is, should members voice their dissenting opinion when they see something they disagree with or that they feel is dangerous?

If I was totally honest, this would probably be a good time to confess that I am only complaining because I had just sat down to enjoy reading about Brushhippie shooting his cannon when someone spoilt it for me.

However I am not totally honest, so I suppose I really should answer your question instead.

My answer is, "I am glad that is your problem and not mine". :thumbsup:

Actually If Squire Robin seems a bit bitter he has every right to be. Several years ago he posted a video on the net about a cannon he has.

There were some parts of the video that showed some unsafe loading procedures. There was nothing that a polite comment pointing out the issue would not have done to help educate. That didn't happen.

Another person pulled his video down from the net and edited it, writing some very unkind and just plain rude comments into titles and re-posted the video on the net.

The editing and re-posting was an obvious violation of the copyright act. That wasn't really the big deal. The sole purpose of the video was to ridicule and demean. I removed the video from another board that I moderated as a personal attack, it was that bad.

That brings me to Brushhippies post. I made the first outwardly derogatory remark. Although I stand by my comment, the manner in which I made it---the stand alone comment was rude:

DD said:
Accident looking for a place to happen...

When I wrote that I meant it and still do. But what I should have wrote with that comment, after criticizing, was why I felt that way and how to fix it. Instead I waited and made a second post later explaining. I should have combined the two post into on.

Brushhippie, I apologize for making my comments in the manner in which I did. I was rude and did not mean to offend.

DD said:
We may not be experts, but some of us have a pretty good idea what we are doing.

You need to spend a little more time doing your research and learn about guns and cannons, how to make them and how to not make them.

For the record your cannon may never blow up and you may never have an accident.

How ever, every year we see the reports usually around 4th of July and New Year where some one with a "device" like yours has had a failure and persons have been maimed or killed and the first words out of their mouth are..."been shooting it for years without a problem." Blank firing signal guns are the ones that show up in these accidents most frequently. Accidents involving Projectile firing cannon made to recognized safety standards usually revolve around improper loading procedures and seldom involve burst barrel.
http://www.komonews.com/news/8331442.html
http://www.civilwarnews.com/artillerysafety.htm

Perhaps, you don't hang around here because you are unwilling to accept that even though your idea is sane, your methodology is not.

We will be most willing help you build something safe that you can have fun with and not endanger everyone around. First step no pipe, use extruded seamless tubing.

We do need to educate folks to help them enjoy this hobby. We just need to be polite in how we do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Squire Robin said:
Claude said:

If I was totally honest, this would probably be a good time to confess that I am only complaining because I had just sat down to enjoy reading about Brushhippie shooting his cannon when someone spoilt it for me.

However I am not totally honest, so I suppose I really should answer your question instead.

My answer is, "I am glad that is your problem and not mine". :thumbsup:
Actually, that doesn't answer the question, but that's okay because it was rhetorical anyway. :haha:

I haven't watched the video before today and I have built cannons several of them sometime ago I posted a swivel gun I built for a friend with a one inch bore it was made from 1018 solid stock that has a tensil strengh rating of 70,000 psi
the wall thickness at the breech was just over an inch, the pipe shown in the video and the author noted that it was rated for 7000 psi As DD stated an accident waiting to happen go investiage the pressures developed by say 100 grains of ffg and tell me how that stands with a tube rated for 7000 psi? the problem is you might use it for years and nothing happens but you pass away and some bubba gets it and blows himself up with it...
like the saying goes its all fun till you shoot your eye out.... DD and others who write the warnings are trying to protect not only the person involved but the hobby itself every time there is a cannon accident it is in the news....
then soon or a later law makers who believe they must protect people from themselves pass more restrictive laws...... Why give them the ammunition to kill this hobby? Just do it smart...

Squire Robin I believe in having fun also but large amounts of black powder and big bores can kill or maim you! I have a friend who's 15 year old son not thinking looked down the bore of a fireworks mortar that misfired it killed him.
I like having fun as much as the next guy but safety shouldn't come in 2nd place to fun...
The English people lost most of their firearms rights... We on this side of the pond have to fight for them everyday it seems, so If it means not comimg across in a video like "Bubba hold my beer and watch this".... I think it would be a good thing...Don't give the other side ammunition
to kill the hobby.

I am not writing this to insult but I don't mince words on the subject of safety

Let me simplify this:

"Its all fun and games until someone gets hurt."

Robin, I am disappointed in your stand. I thought that you of all people would understand the need for safety when participating in our hobby to you, our American Right to we, Americans. I know that the UK has tough gun laws. Not quite sure how you are able to discharge your guns and cannons. Don't you have to have permits and the likes? Or is your attitude of whatever, "its all in fun", applied to that as well?

I take the Right seriously. My Great Great Grandfather was an artillery man during the Civil War.

Every "cannon accident" that occurs here in the US is one more step towards government regulation of our hobby.

"Stupid is, as stupid does."

Grandad always said, "There's a right way, and a wrong way to do a thing. Use the right tool to get the job done. And make sure you get it right the first time."

The following is a short partial list of Cannon Disasters: http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/192442/

Brushhippie, I wish you the best in your pursuit of the Darwin Awards, there lots of competition out there.

Who am I? A nobody in the whirlwind of life. But, while twisting in the wind, I managed to earn myself a certification as a cannoneer/mortar man, amongst other things. But, hey, what do I know?

Last edited by a moderator:
Squire Robin said:
Jack Wilson said:
I was addressing Robins comment about - "Folk who get real serious about shooting cannons forget that it is supposed to be fun".

I have a wife to tell me I am an idiot.

I have buddies to tell me that shooting my cannon is fun.

Somehow I expected to find buddies rather than wives on this list :idunno:

Would these be pub buddies? [American translation: "Drinking Buddies"]

Claypipe said:
Every "cannon accident" that occurs here in the US is one more step towards government regulation of our hobby.
If enough people get hurt, they will outlaw "making canons out of pipe". It already reads like a headline, doesn't it?

I'm sure "kit guns" is already on someone's list of things the public shouldn't be allowed to make/have.

Back