• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Vest Pocket Derringer info needed

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poor Private

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Today at a gun show i picked up a derringer.
Traditions vest pocket .31 caliber. I need some info on it. I went to Tradtions web site not much there. I check on the web Blah Blah Blah about the same. Everything gives me the caliber, how long the barrel is, the fake ivory grips. But not the info I want such as: how much powder, what the heck the screw out rod below the barrel is for, effective range, ball size. What to use for a ramrod. Anyone have any info? This pistol is in like new condition I bought it for a whooping $55.

this is the type of gun...correct?
reproderringer31.jpg

these are produced by A.S.M and traditions...
the on in the pic is priced $166
SINCE THEY HAVE SUCH A SHORT BARREL..10 grains of 3 fff will be a good charge. Card table accuracy...Be careful loading it! If you use a small pistol stand or place the butt on a table while you are cramming the ball home the brass frame could break around the top of the grip!!!
( please dont ask me HOW I know... :redface: )
These are the modern day renditions of the original Southerner derringers of days gone by which shot cased ammo.

Scalper,
Yep thats the gun. Whats the screwed in rod below the barrel used for? I bought this gun with no manual or instructions.

Your kidding --right? How can it be a ramrod with a convex end, round end of rod, and round ball hmmm, equals sliding off and cursing an so short. So short to even grab a hold off. Looks more like a decoration to me. It would be easier to use a brass rod with a brazed on t handle with an indent in the end.
But it's a cute little bugger. I am going to use it primarily for a blank firing gun for civil war events, heck the cap makes a decent nosie alone.
Now to make a small holster to fit on my galluses.

I have a similar one made in the Phillipines. Its been awhile since I shot it but if my memory serves I put one grain of real black with 15 grains of pyro p on top with a patched .315 ball. At close range it can barely penitrate a 1 inch thick piece of pine. I use an old holster from a modern derringer to carry it, which is never. Still fun to shot though.

Don

Let me warn you the grips cracked on mine after just a few shots. They replaced them with no hassle and no delay. However, the second pair (both sides!) cracked again after 5 shots.

I like that one better, now! I received word from them this morning that it is not worth their while to replace the new cracked grips.

No doubt they were! I can snap off a shot and hit a milk jug at 40-50 ft. with it, tho'. Now I just need to find someone who can make me some WOODEN grips.

Latest posts

Back