• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Very recent pick up

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've always like the looks of the Harpers Ferry 1803 rifle. I had one once before but the lock/frizzen didn't seem to spark too well. I ended up selling it some 10-15 years ago. Recently I found a guy on a local gun selling site. He was asking $500 but we settled on $425. He told me it belonged to his dad who worked as a wholesale manager for Val Forgett of Navy Arms back in the 1970's and 80"s. He supposedly picked it up when Val decided to put some of his personnel collection on consignment. This particular rifle had the lock re-worked and tuned. It actually sparks as good or better than any of my other flintlocks, and it is very smooth. I doubt what he told me can be validated, but it does make a good story.
Harpers 1.jpg
Harpers 2.jpg
Harpers 3.jpg
Harpers 4.jpg
Harpers 5.jpg

Last edited:
I forgot to mention, in looking up the manufacture date, indicated by the two letter is the square box (AA), it was made in 1975 - the year I graduated from High School. I may decided to strip down the stock and throw a little Aqua Fortis on it to darken it up a bit.

I forgot to mention, in looking up the manufacture date, indicated by the two letter is the square box (AA), it was made in 1975 - the year I graduated from High School. I may decided to strip down the stock and throw a little Aqua Fortis on it to darken it up a bit.
Fiebrings alcohol based leather dye will work wonders on that stock after stripping it of its finish. Keep adding coats until it gets to your shade of darkness then finish it up with some BLO.

I believe it was 1976 that my Dad and his mill working buddies bought 10 Navy Arms Harpers Ferry 1803 rifles for $110 each!. We used them in the first Pennsylvania muzzleloading deer season. That season the game wardens did not even want to check our muzzleloaders, because they said they knew nothing about them. I still have my Dad's rifle.

Back