• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Very frustrated..need advice

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I received my first muzzle loading rifle today, a percussion Dixie Hawken by Investarm. First off let me say I have zero experience with rifles other than what I've picked up on the internet. Revolvers, yes. Anyway the trigger will not trip the hammer. I removed the lock and trigger assembly. Horrible quality control. The stock, lock, and trigger were full of sawdust and chips due to very rough milling which was not finished off or cleaned up. I cleaned all that up, adjusted the set trigger and lubed everything. The set trigger was so tight as to be painful to pull. Assembled it all and main trigger still will not trip the hammer. It seems to me the bar that operates the sear takes a lot of pressure to get it to trip whether in the stock or operating it outside. This is a brand new gun so is there anything I can do to rescue it or given I really don't know what I'm doing just try to send it back before I turn it into a fireplace ornament. Dixie Gun Works. Thanks for any help or advice in this matter.

It sounds like the bridle, which fits over the tumbler is binding. Back off the two screws a little and trip the sear bar which will release the hammer. Be sure to hold the hammer when tripping the sear. The tumbler should rotate easier. If so, add a small amount of oil under the bridle.

@Ed C., on the trigger bar, the screw that holds the set trigger drive spring is too tight and could be loosened. Try a half turn at a time until the set trigger is easy to set. Then there is likely some interference between the sear lever in the lock and the stock. I would follow @ADK Bigfoot's advice and contact Dixie before any alterations are made.

Return to Dixie. I know this probably is not what you want to hear right now, but Investarms firearms are good. Not excellent, but good solid guns. You may of gotten a lemon. Get a replacement and start over. I own 3 Investarm made Lymans. All are good shooters. 1 old and 2 newer made.

Sending it back should have happened before you started working on solving the problems with the gun.

Saying it arrived with saw dust, wood chips, and malfunctioning parts will be a mystery to DGW when it arrives back at their store all cleaned up.

Sending back as received would prompt DGW to take the issue up with the vendor that shipped them the gun. Or with Investarms themselves.

Good luck it.

You’ve received good advice. Call Dixie up and tell them the situation and what you’ve done so far to remedy. There shouldn’t be any problems getting a replacement. But as @Grenadier1758 said it’s most likely the set trigger spring set too tightly. If you want to try and fix it take the trigger assembly and slightly loosen the rear screw on the flat spring until the set trigger sets freely. There’s also a small set screw forward of that for fine tuning. You can adjust these and the main trigger screw until the assembly functions as you want. That should correct the problem. It could be a lock problem, but most likely the set trigger spring. Even if you get a replacement be prepared to make adjustments on these as needed.

OK, I think the best advice is to return it. However, with fiddling around, loosening the bridle screws and adjusting the set trigger spring here is where I am at. The set trigger now has a very light pull. I cock the hammer. I pull the set trigger. It clicks. I pull the front trigger and immediately with a light pull the front trigger clicks and makes the set trigger click but the hammer does not fall. I then have a long free travel and with a 4 or 5# pull the hammer will fall so no advantage out of the set trigger. So is it the gun or is it me? Are these guns supposed to be good to right out of the box?

One more thing....just a guess. Being this model now comes with a Beech wood stock maybe they are cutting other corners as well. Even if the gun is not test fired I'd think it should at least have had a function check.

You’ve received good advice. Call Dixie up and tell them the situation and what you’ve done so far to remedy. There shouldn’t be any problems getting a replacement. But as @Grenadier1758 said it’s most likely the set trigger spring set too tightly. If you want to try and fix it take the trigger assembly and slightly loosen the rear screw on the flat spring until the set trigger sets freely. There’s also a small set screw forward of that for fine tuning. You can adjust these and the main trigger screw until the assembly functions as you want. That should correct the problem. It could be a lock problem, but most likely the set trigger spring. Even if you get a replacement be prepared to make adjustments on these as needed.
If I back off (screw the adjusting screw out) on the set trigger spring it becomes more difficult, then impossible to pull the set trigger. Looking at it, it seems screwing the screw in takes spring tension off of the set trigger. I don't know. Five hours of messing with this thing, learned a lot how it is supposed to work, but still can't fix it!

If I back off (screw the adjusting screw out) on the set trigger spring it becomes more difficult, then impossible to pull the set trigger. Looking at it, it seems screwing the screw in takes spring tension off of the set trigger. I don't know. Five hours of messing with this thing, learned a lot how it is supposed to work, but still can't fix it!
It’s the larger screw that attaches the flat spring to the trigger assembly that needs to be loosened. The smaller set screw is for fine adjustment.

The small set screw is for fine adjustment only. It should be screwed out past contact. Then back off the main rear screw until the flat spring is loose, then tighten to eliminate wiggle. Try the set trigger, if it’s to lose start screwing in the set screw until the desired resistance is felt.

Or again, just send it back.

The small set screw is for fine adjustment only. It should be screwed out past contact. Then back off the main rear screw until the flat spring is loose, then tighten to eliminate wiggle. Try the set trigger, if it’s to lose start screwing in the set screw until the desired resistance is felt.

Or again, just send it back.
Geez, I'm so new at this. There are 3 screws I'm dealing with. One is at the base of the set trigger spring and you must remove the trigger assembly to get to it. Then there is a setscrew that you can adjust externally that as you screw it in it pushes on the flat spring and relieves spring pressure on the set trigger. Right now I have it adjusted to where the set trigger has a very hard pull and the hair trigger function of the front trigger is working. Now if I take just a half turn in on the set screw to try and get a lighter set trigger pull, the set trigger looses its ability to trip the sear when the front trigger is pulled. The forward set screw seems to adjust the front trigger. So the gun works now, but with a VERY hard set trigger pull. I will call Dixie on Monday and see what they say.

Geez, I'm so new at this. There are 3 screws I'm dealing with. One is at the base of the set trigger spring and you must remove the trigger assembly to get to it. Then there is a setscrew that you can adjust externally that as you screw it in it pushes on the flat spring and relieves spring pressure on the set trigger. Right now I have it adjusted to where the set trigger has a very hard pull and the hair trigger function of the front trigger is working. Now if I take just a half turn in on the set screw to try and get a lighter set trigger pull, the set trigger looses its ability to trip the sear when the front trigger is pulled. The forward set screw seems to adjust the front trigger. So the gun works now, but with a VERY hard set trigger pull. I will call Dixie on Monday and see what they say.
Seems like your stuck on send it back ,easy (STOP) send it back!

Latest posts

Back