• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Vernier sights question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zutt-man

45 Cal.
Reaction score
First of all, I’ve been shooting traditional black powder for 20+ of my 29 years and I learn so much on this forum every day, so thank you.

Secondly, I’m considering putting vernier or buckhorn sights on my next rifle. I have good vision, but when I focus in on a target I have a hard time seeing traditional iron sights, and when I focus on the back irons, my target goes fuzzy. I recently knocked down a bull elk with my dad’s .54 (my .40 just doesn’t have the bang for elk) and I he a much better sight picture with his buckhorn sights.

My question is this: Do those who use vernier sights have trouble with target clarity in the first/last 15-20 minutes of daylight? I don’t rendezvous anymore, but am very active in the woods with my smoke pole yet, and these times are generally when big game are active. Thanks in advance.

P.S. Here are few photos of that bugler

Attachments

• CFCC32BC-769A-40E8-A9E3-BC53DE208E6C.jpeg
    CFCC32BC-769A-40E8-A9E3-BC53DE208E6C.jpeg
    225.7 KB · Views: 81
  • 0C9FACC5-E9B1-4E4F-8976-2D1BBC19BF94.jpeg
    0C9FACC5-E9B1-4E4F-8976-2D1BBC19BF94.jpeg
    146.7 KB · Views: 63
  • 21B44C56-A630-443D-A6DA-DEC24A8F108B.jpeg
    21B44C56-A630-443D-A6DA-DEC24A8F108B.jpeg
    141.5 KB · Views: 54
For hunting, at dusk or dawn in low light with aperture sights, I have had good visibility and accuracy using a larger aperture. I would add that, regardless of whether the rear sights are aperture or conventional open(ie. buck horn), for best accuracy, total focus should be on the front sight which will result in the target being out of clear focus. This is to be expected.

I had the same questions as you. I put one on my gun and took it outside around prime shooting light. I couldn’t see very well at all unless the contrasting background was perfect. I took off right away. As stated above a larger peep helps but my vernier sight wouldn’t allow one. I want peep sights to work because I can shoot very well with them but I just couldn’t leave it on. I suggest if u already have one put it on and try for yourself at low light.

Unscrew the peep and just use the hole as 'ghost ring'.

The large hole will allow light and focus the sights.

The vernier things are big and get loose, think about the one that looks like a bent up spoon. You can bend and twist it to fit your sights.

What ever you use, think 'big hole'.

https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=50684.25
Second page, top.

your eye can only focus on one thing at atime. front sight should be sharp. rear n target fuzzy. a full buckhorn is poor mans peepsight. skinner makes some very good dovetail peeps. low light remove to have ghost ring. consentrate on front will never see flash in pan,no flinch.

Back