• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Vernier sight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I put a new vernier sight on my sharps carbine. The eye disc hole is so small you cannot see thru it. Even light does come thru. Is there a replacement or drill it out? I checked TOTW and nothing.

Drill it out from the front. A small aperture is fine in bright conditions, but a bigger aperture allows more light. There is a trade off in "depth of field" where the front sight is in focus or not, and that will depend upon YOUR eyes and the sight radius.

I have changeable apertures for my peep sights, so will use a small one on bright days and larger when there is less light.

Do your self a favor. Get a Hadley eye cup. it will make a huge difference.

xB6kvBr.jpg

If you have an MVA sight it should of came with 3 eye cups with 3 different sized holes, you can get other eyecups from them if you bought it used. If not then you will likely be a head drilling the one you have out.

Do NOT drill it. Get a Hadley eyecup. And no, this isn't something Track will have as they are oriented to traditional muzzleloading. Try Lee Shaver or Montana Valley Arms. Depends on who made your sight as to thread pattern Lee or the guys at MVA can help. Past that, there's Buffalo Arms.

Personally, I void Hadleys at all costs. (I have two.) They have no place in hunting nor in competition. Get several single aperture eye cups and drill them out as needed. They are cheaper in addition to not costing you a wounded animal or a lost point on the firing line.

There is no such thing as a hole too small to let light through. Sounds like it is plugged.

Just where did you get the eye cups? I cannot find them.

I got them by posting a request on line.

But what maker is your vernier sight? If you said, I missed it. They will not interchange between makers.

The old guys who do the Buffalo Matches at my club say if it looks like there's spider webs in the hole, you're good.

Too much of an opening and it's basically a Ghost Ring. If you're shooting for precision you need the smallest hole you can see through.

These aren't hunting or snap shot sights, they're for bench rest rifle shooting with rifles that can cloverleaf at 200 yards. I'd assume guys like Civil War snipers used tang sights with much larger holes.

Just where did you get the eye cups? I cannot find them.
What make is your sight? That's the place to start to look for more eyecups.
2 maybe 3 eyecups with different sized holes will serve you well. The Hadleys are nice in some respects, but I find I use the adjustment feature less and less.

I have several MVA sights and I have never gotten more then one eye cup with each one.

Fleener

I shot some peeps. It was interesting to me how big a peep hole is fine. Most of the time i just left the screw in hole out and shot that way. When you have one shot I believe there was a lot of shooters that used peeps to make that one shot as absolutely good as possible. There was a day that a missed shot meant no food or no need for food anymore.

Back