• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Vermont Primitive Biathlon?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaeger

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Has anyone ever done the Vermont Primitive Biathlon in Jeffersonville, Vt.? How was it? How difficult was it? I'd appreciate any opinions, comments or observations.

Did it a couple of years ago; was about 1.5 to 2 mi; wooden snow shoes only, nine targets, timed. Snow can be from a few inches to when I did it, 24inches! Same for temps. Primitive dress encouraged, but not mandatory. Usually very well attended, with several sutlers and food, as well. Participants encouraged to reschedule their competition times. All in all, a very well run event that started the whole primitive biathlon movement!

primitive biathlon.com for full details

Last edited by a moderator:
If you Google primitive biathlon, there are UTube videos from several years ago listed that give a good idea of what it's all about!

Thanks, guys. I'd like to try it, but I sure would have to take my time, because I'm getting too old for hurrying on snowshoes. Two miles seems pretty daunting, to me, especially if the snow is deep.

The web site has photos from past events, Ray runs a great event. Don't worry about the 2mi course the vast majority walk and have fun. On site cabins to stay in if you want...Sterling Ridge Cabins, Jeffersonville, Vt.

I was 60 last year and I'm still doing it.It is a cold friggin place,10-20 below is common.A woman with white hair passed me last year. :shocked2: :shocked2: The Ancient Ones Of Maine donate a rifle to be given away. It's a good course and I have met so many great folks there. I have lost count of the years I have gone. I run on VT. made Marie Boutin Ojibiway shoes.
Nit Wit

Thanks, Nit, MB and others. I may have to give it a try. I'll have to think about it...but I sure as heck can't think about it too many years!

Start your own,2 people can run the whole thing if you run 2 loops from 1 shooting station with 9-10 targets. If you have more help spread the stations along the course.
Nit Wit

I do a couple of primitive biathlons each year, Jeffersonville and Manchester VT.

There are "gazelles" who run it and the rest of us who stride purposefully. Sometimes I do it timed and sometimes I just walk along with an older friend of mine and enjoy the conversation.

Both places have attractive hardwood forests to walk through, friendly folks, and the challenge of shooting when you are breathing hard. The Manchester shoot also has some stationary target events.

The weather in Jeffersonville can be challenging - I've done it at -4F with a stiff breeze. Most of the time, though, it's in the 20s or better and I find myself sweating a bit after a quarter mile on snowshoes. The key is to start a little slower than you want to and then accelerate as you warm up. Easier on your lungs with cold air. Then slow down a little just as you come into the target area to let your heart rate and breathing slow down.

I'm always competing against my own score from last year. I've competed with both flintlock and matchlock with moderate success. It's more fun than the proverbial cylinder of simians. Do it!

I went to the biathlon in Jeff. last year. It was a hoot. I wasn't trying to win,just go for a walk and enjoy the whole spectacle. A couple time savers I witnessed that would have saved me a few minutes. Crampons, some of the uphill sections were quite slippery. A loading block. Pre-measured paper powder cartridges.I was loading out of the bag and horn. I lost a few minutes from stupidity. I stopped to tighten my shoes and continued on. About 100yds further I notices my bags flap wasn't right. Felt around and I had dropped my balls and had to return to where I tightened my shoes to find them. Then at the first target site, one of the referees was a friend I hadn't seen for over 20 years, had to yack with him for a minute.( I am originally from Jeff)At the second target site there was another old friend and another minute lost.
I was planning on going again this year but health problems are not allowing it. I might go just to be a spectator and visit with friends in town.
If you are thinking of going, go. It is a well run event and lots of shooters having a good time. Makes a good break of the winter blues.
Cheers
RFMcD

Hey RatFMcD;
I hope you get better so you can whip me!I'm gonna do it til I can't. Come on the A/O board so we can stay in touch.Remember that PLR shoot a year ago!!
Nit Wit

Remember? My toes are still frozen. The good part was the nice breeze we had to keep from sweating too much. I think I only hit one target, flinching and shivering doesn't make for good shooting.
You might see me in Jeff but I won't be doing the course. I'm too young to join the "Old Farts Walking Around with Guns". Maybe they will let me follow them.
Cheers
RFMcd

More power to you guys.

I quit skiing and Vermont at the same time. Now I pitch my tent so far south they speak of snow and Big Foot in the same conversation.

Back