• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Vent/Touch Hole Pick

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made one out of some old wound guitar string glued into a small piece of wood dowel. Flexible and does the job.

Mesquite thorns work great

Attachments

• IMG_0084.jpeg
    IMG_0084.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0086.jpeg
    IMG_0086.jpeg
    663.7 KB · Views: 0
Hmmm - I just made one with a stainless steel rod inserted into a wood handle. Works well, but now I'm wondering if there is any danger if the gun is loaded, because it's steel?

These steel vent picks will be passing steel over steel and are extremely unlikely to draw sparks in use. Flint is much harder than steel and can scrape hot shards of steel. Steel rubbing on steel will only slide and not draw sparks. It may wear and eventually the touch hole will enlarge. So, it is better to use a softer metal as a touch hole pick.

i have used vent picks. i made up a half dozen from welding wire and antler handle. figured one for each flintlock right?
should have made 365, one for each day. they seem to disappear shortly after a shooting session. not smart enough to tether them to the trigger guard.
i seldom "need" one but......
figure i will find a pack rat nest one of these days and recover a dozen or so. reminds me. time for another mouse safari.

Back